Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I don't understand your point.

Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    for Tomasal
    You are missing the point
    just because you see "something different" on each coin dose not mean it is a progression
    each die is unique in the moment
    when something happens to that die it leaves a mark
    A die scratch, a die dent, a die crack, a clash, a die polish, Something
    to have a progression you need to find a marker that is exactly the same on each coin. Then show something different on each coin that progresses.
    I see no Exactly the same markers on each coin
    I see the same coin pic used over and over on the big pics

Try to find a Marker, then take a pic of that marker on each coin. then show your progression of what is different
    I see no debris that was left on the coins from a die event at all except for a possible rev clash
    A die is a bar of metal that the design of a coin ( that is raised on a coin) is sunk into
    Then the metal of the blank planchet fills that area making a coin.
    debris on a die would make a strike through, which I do not see
    damage to the die would make a die break or raised area, which I do not see either.
    Dies do change over time, and can change from coin to coin.
    question to you?
    Is you debris on your coin above the normal design of the coin, or sunk into the coin?
    I personally see Dies that were polished, removing a part of a design element.
    and I see damage to the coins.
    They may be from the same die or from different dies, I am leaning towards more than 3 dies at this time
    There are many dies for that year that this would happen to
    some people do collect abraded Lincoln Cent coins
    as stated in earlier post, if there is a space in a folder/album the coins value increases
    If you can create a demand for this type of error then the value would increase
    but at this time, there is not many collectors trying to find these types of coins.

defiantly collect the coins you like , and try to create interest in these coins if you are interested in them

NOTE: I have edited my self 4 times on this one post
    Last edited by onecent1909; 11-13-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

3. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onecent1909 View Post
    for Tomasal
    You are missing the point
    just because you see "something different" on each coin dose not mean it is a progression
    each die is unique in the moment
    when something happens to that die it leaves a mark
    A die scratch, a die dent, a die crack, a clash, a die polish, Something
    to have a progression you need to find a marker that is exactly the same on each coin. Then show something different on each coin that progresses.
    I see no Exactly the same markers on each coin
    I see the same coin pic used over and over on the big pics

Try to find a Marker, then take a pic of that marker on each coin. then show your progression of what is different
    I see no debris that was left on the coins from a die event at all except for a possible rev clash
    A die is a bar of metal that the design of a coin ( that is raised on a coin) is sunk into
    Then the metal of the blank planchet fills that area making a coin.
    debris on a die would make a strike through, which I do not see
    damage to the die would make a die break or raised area, which I do not see either.
    Dies do change over time, and can change from coin to coin.
    question to you?
    Is you debris on your coin above the normal design of the coin, or sunk into the coin?
    I personally see Dies that were polished, removing a part of a design element.
    and I see damage to the coins.
    They may be from the same die or from different dies, I am leaning towards more than 3 dies at this time
    There are many dies for that year that this would happen to
    some people do collect abraded Lincoln Cent coins
    as stated in earlier post, if there is a space in a folder/album the coins value increases
    If you can create a demand for this type of error then the value would increase
    but at this time, there is not many collectors trying to find these types of coins.

defiantly collect the coins you like , and try to create interest in these coins if you are interested in them

NOTE: I have edited my self 4 times on this one post

Ok. When I look closer the "debris," it appears to be crack near the lower jaw line (not from contact) and another coin has crack in the shape of an X on the jaw closer to the ear. It's not just surface debris. Anyway, I follow what you're saying. Thanks for the instruction.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK so crack.
    terms are very important to IDing errors
    When we talk about a die crack... the die has a crack in it from stress
    this crack is a void in the surface of the die
    Since the metal of the planchet flows into the devices AND any voids in the die
    a die crack will leave a raised jagged line
    if the area you are talking about is higher than the surface of the jaw, then it MAY be a die crack.
    if it is not higher than the surface, it is either damage to the coin, or something stuck on the die
    when we talk about dies you have to think in reverse
    what is raised on a coin has to be sunk into a die,
    and what is sunk down on a coin(and not damage) ( or a special error) is raised on a die.
    so are the X marks raised and higher then the surrounding field?
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    a die crack.

the line going through the A in america down to the memorial building and lower is a die crack
    it is raised above the field, the letters, and the building
    if you want to see a die crack in person.
    find a bunch of 1983 cents, look at all 4 corners of the memorial
    A lot of the 1983 cent have at least 1 crack on a memorial corner
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When looking at the big pictures... some of the obverses and the reverses are of the exact same coin.
    when looking at the small pics they look to be of different coins....
    Sorry I don't understand your point.
    I see his point. Look at your big pics. a bunch are the same exact coin, look at the reverses, 4 are the same coin with a carbon spot above the E on the rev that you can't miss.

I'm assuming, your pics are mixed up.

Start over.
    Look at your coins, first try to ID which are the really from the same die. Clearly number the pics (like obv-1/rev-1 obv-2/rev-2) so they can't get mixed up and can tell which obv goes with which rev. Then look at just those coins from the same die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Grumpy. As for the obverse and reverse being mismatched, they are not mismatched in my album. There may have been something that happened in optimizer conversion at coincommunity, which is what I posted here. Will repost originals from the album later. However, my coin 4 doesn't seem to want to load up to this site (just as w original post). Anyway, need to focus on work and will repost later. Take care.

11. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post