Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple reverse issues, check it out!

Additional Information
    Date: 1983

This one caught my eye with having what looks to be various things going on. Extreme polishing, die deterioration, PSD and possible greaser. I would like to see what thoughts you have.

Thanks, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is a combo like you... Lots of abrasions, some serious strike thru grease, even on the steps, then some heavy circ wear.... Not real sure on the heavy circ wear tho since the obv is in such great shape... On the obv, are those bumps or ripples??? I don't see any plating damage which is strange on an 83... Did you weigh it???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes engine823, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I think it is a combo like you... Lots of abrasions, some serious strike thru grease, even on the steps, then some heavy circ wear.... Not real sure on the heavy circ wear tho since the obv is in such great shape... On the obv, are those bumps or ripples??? I don't see any plating damage which is strange on an 83... Did you weigh it???
    Thanks for looking Jim. On the obverse it looks like a combination of what I've heard you guys refer to as orange peel and also some possible early stages of zinc rot. It weighs in at 2.47 grams. Here are a couple of close up pics of the obverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the follow up... Looks like that could be the beginning of orange peel, cool... Just a little zinc rot started which is excellent for an 83... Other than the abrasions and die wear I think the majority of the rev is strike thru... There is barely any circ wear on the obv and, even tho not always the case, the rev just doesn't look like much circ wear either!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

7. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some greasers have lines that look like they used a brush or something to clean the clog out but left behind some of it with a line pattern from whatever they used trying to clean it out. Most of what is there is probably from grease and pattern in the grease, not from polishing even though 83s have ugly polishing too, on this one I think the grease and lines in it obscured/dwarfed the normal polishing lines.

Most 83 cents are very weak on the the area of EPU.

9. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet it looked pretty neat when it was a fresh red BU with that ugly reverse LOL

11. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    I bet it looked pretty neat when it was a fresh red BU with that ugly reverse LOL
    It would be one of those uglys you just have to love
    Jim

13. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for chiming in Ed... I appreciate it!!!
    Jim

15. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Some greasers have lines that look like they used a brush or something to clean the clog out but left behind some of it with a line pattern from whatever they used trying to clean it out. Most of what is there is probably from grease and pattern in the grease, not from polishing even though 83s have ugly polishing too, on this one I think the grease and lines in it obscured/dwarfed the normal polishing lines.

Most 83 cents are very weak on the the area of EPU.
    Thank you for your knowledge and insight once again Ed. I know 83's had there issues but I really liked this ugly duckling!

17. Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post