Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneman227 View Post
    Dr. Wiles was kind enough to weigh in on this coin and it's deterioration doubling.
    Clad gets me every time !

John
    Thank you for the update John! That was very nice of Dr. Wiles to help you out on this one!

2. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to have an answer.

I think the clues are, the doubling goes both directions and it does not truly have notching, it has something that sort of looks like notching when you first look at it but it is different. Sort of hard to explain but look at the D, the doubling goes below it then up the vertical, on real notching the doubling going up the vertical should end before the top making a notch (since the doubling goes below it and on a DDO both images should be same size) but on this the doubling goes to the top and below so it's bigger than the normal D. Deterioration makes it bigger.

4. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update and Thank You Dr. Wiles... I would have thought a combo for sure especially the way notches are showing on the SE corners of the letters N G W T R and T... Everything else looked like die wear especially the areas that appear concave... I am glad Dr. Wiles chimed in for us!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!