Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Also the vapors from acetone are highly volatile!!!
    Yes, no smoking in the nail salon guys! The nail salon uses pure acetone to soak off acrylic nails and it stinks but they don't make you go outside or wear a mask. Because of that, I'm not really all that careful with it and use it inside just don't light a candle near it. I use a small glass jar with a lid (like baby food jar) and just use a small amount of acetone and just one coin so gunk from another coin doesn't get on it. Just enough acetone to cover the coin, so you waste less.

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After removing the coins from the acetone, I did not notice any difference in the clarity of the acetone -- I was expecting to see some discoloration. And, after washing off the coins and letting them dry, they 'seem' about the same. The aqua-colored verdigris[?] did not change, either.

Does this sound about right?

The fact the acetone did not clean your coins is correct. We mainly use acetone to dissolve glues from stickers some folks out on coins. It is also useful for removing some PVC damage from storage in non archival flips. It can loosen up some verdigris, but not always. Some other chemicals such as Verdi-care are better for removing the verdigris.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

3. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also use acetone to remove the invisible fingerprints that are left from oils, etc on our fingers

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    ......... Some other chemicals such as Verdi-care are better for removing the verdigris.
    I've been meaning to ask if you soak the coins in Verdi-care or just apply it and pat dry? I bought some but there were no instructions.
    Thanks in advance. Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it either way Cliff. It does not hurt to let the coins soak. It all depends on the severity of the verdigris. However, here is all the info you should need on it:

https://www.docdroid.net/kKYhdZn/ver...tructions.docx
    Bob Piazza

8. Thanks VAB2013, TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it either way Cliff. It does not hurt to let the coins soak. It all depends on the severity of the verdigris. However, here is all the info you should need on it:

https://www.docdroid.net/kKYhdZn/ver...tructions.docx
    Thanks a million Bob. And thanks for the link.
    I'll look at it more closely tonight and it will put my mind at ease knowing what is recommended.

Edit: Couldn't wait.
    I notice it says "Not Recommended for proof coins."
    I have a 1950 proof set, Details Grade from improper storage from the previous owner (they have some Verdi on them) that I think would benefit from Verdi-care.
    In this case would it be ok to apply the Verdi care, since they are already details grade?
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 12-11-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In this case would it be ok to apply the Verdi care, since they are already details grade?
    That's a tough call Cliff. Even though yours may grade out as 'Details' I wouldn't recommend doing any more damage to that set than is already done...especially a very early proof set.
    Bob Piazza

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say NO Cliff. When I use it on BU coins with small spots it lightens the coin from orange to gold. Your Proof will then come back ""Cleaned""
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a tough call Cliff. Even though yours may grade out as 'Details' I wouldn't recommend doing any more damage to that set than is already done...especially a very early proof set.
    Quote Originally Posted by eaxtellcoin View Post
    I would say NO Cliff. When I use it on BU coins with small spots it lightens the coin from orange to gold. Your Proof will then come back ""Cleaned""
    Eric

Thanks guys. That's very good information to know.
    I'm glad I asked because I would have thought that it wouldn't hurt the coin more since it is already details grade with a light cloudy surface as well as the Verdi.

Maybe a moderator can/should move this info to a separate thread so more people can find it and benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody wanting to try the vinegar and salt approach can get a good idea of what the coins will look like, below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post