Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Ed, I remember reading that in Will's theory regarding it being a process of preparing the die before use.
    Viv, not based on any theory about the cause of them.

What I meant is that trails and polishing lines and gouges are different things because trails are already there from the start not from maintenance because there is no documented case of a die without trails then later gaining them in a later stage or state that would imply that it happens from maintenance/polishing. Dies either started out with them or without them.

So regardless of trail cause theories, trails are probably from making or prep of new dies not from maintenance and what we call polishing and stuff is different because it is from maintenance and that's going to fit with any theory on the cause of them.

2. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Viv, not based on any theory about the cause of them.

What I meant is that trails and polishing lines and gouges are different things because trails are already there from the start not from maintenance because there is no documented case of a die without trails then later gaining them in a later stage or state that would imply that it happens from maintenance/polishing. Dies either started out with them or without them.

So regardless of trail cause theories, trails are probably from making or prep of new dies not from maintenance and what we call polishing and stuff is different because it is from maintenance and that's going to fit with any theory on the cause of them.
    Thank you Ed for clarifying this. I am on the same page. I was just looking at some webpages (just googled die polishing) and there is so much information out there directly from the different US Mints. One webpage was showing the Westpoint Mint and there are photos and descriptions of preparing a proof die that shows the use of various strengths of diamond paste and hand held tools, then a description and photo of machinery where it mentions brushes and felt heads are used. I realize what I saw was referring to proof dies, but I'm still looking around, it's really interesting information!

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    .........What I meant is that trails and polishing lines and gouges are different things because trails are already there from the start not from maintenance because there is no documented case of a die without trails then later gaining them in a later stage or state that would imply that it happens from maintenance/polishing. Dies either started out with them or without them.

Thanks Ed.
    I understand your explanation and hope it sticks with me.
    (I usually have to be hit only 7 or 8 times with a 2x4 for a lesson to be learned!! )

6. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks Ed.
    I understand your explanation and hope it sticks with me.
    (I usually have to be hit only 7 or 8 times with a 2x4 for a lesson to be learned!! )
    That's good... I need a 12 x 12 over and over again
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey gang! I know it has been a while since I posted, and I'm pretty sure my last post (which I never came back to, due to getting so danged busy) was about these trails. Not positive about the OP's coin, but I have found a ton of 2017-P cents with similar trails. All of the ones I found are incuse, have different sets of reverse die markers, and are paired with different obverse dies. I came to the conclusion that these are working hub related, as for the trails to be incuse on the coins, they would have to be raised on the die. The coin I posted with these trails had a possible minor die attrition error: http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...385#post318385

I am taking a wild guess, but I think maybe 1 out of 6 or so 2017-Ps I look at has them. I wanted to discuss this further when I started the above thread, but I just got too busy. OP, Look closely and see if they aren't incuse. Thanks for posting this!

9. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trails and polishing lines are different things.
    At least from my thinking of it, polishing lines are from when they're using the die and polish it with whatever they use but I don't think it's a wheel/electric method maybe a piece of emery or sandpaper or a hand held brush.
    Trails are from when they prepared the die before use.
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Yes Ed, I remember reading that in Will's theory regarding it being a process of preparing the die before use.

Thanks to you both for the clarification. (Another reason to love this site: Knowledge)
    I did forget that part about trails being formed during production of the die (Not "maintenance" of the die).
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 12-22-2017 at 02:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jay4202472000 View Post
    Hey gang! I know it has been a while since I posted, and I'm pretty sure my last post (which I never came back to, due to getting so danged busy) was about these trails. Not positive about the OP's coin, but I have found a ton of 2017-P cents with similar trails. All of the ones I found are incuse, have different sets of reverse die markers, and are paired with different obverse dies. I came to the conclusion that these are working hub related, as for the trails to be incuse on the coins, they would have to be raised on the die. The coin I posted with these trails had a possible minor die attrition error: http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...385#post318385

I am taking a wild guess, but I think maybe 1 out of 6 or so 2017-Ps I look at has them. I wanted to discuss this further when I started the above thread, but I just got too busy. OP, Look closely and see if they aren't incuse. Thanks for posting this!
    Very interesting... It is possible it could be working hub related??? Any idea how many working hubs were made??? I can not tell for sure on a comparison between the OPs and your coin do to lite reflection on the OPs coin but on the first U in EPU yours appears to have a trail from the top of both verticals and the OPs is only on the east???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!