Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duece2seven View Post
    You're welcome, Viv. Very nice 1st attempt.
    Big difference in the luster for sure. I have some additional ideas for you to try but I think I should let you play with the new lights for a few days first. Try them at varying angles and post more pics here if you can. I would be particularly be curious to see how the coin in your 2nd pic would look if you switched to 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I'm not sure I can explain how but it will tell me a bit more about how your scope works. Positioning your lights from multiple angles and clock positions will eventually teach you how your Jansjo's can be manipulated to adjust for the inconsistencies you will encounter particularly when shooting coins from circulation/bankrolls.

One piece of advice I would recommend for now would be to try shooting on a velvet or soft "fabric" type of surface to absorb some of the excess light that's bouncing back into your scope. These scopes average out everything they see so the less information they have to factor in the better.

Give me some different shots of that 2nd coin and I will weigh in as soon as I can. Also, I would like to see a shot taken at 10 and 2 but using a white background. Plain paper is fine for this shot.
    Gotta run. Have fun with the new lights!

Tracy
    Hey Tracy! Nice to see you! Thank you for all of your help! I'm going to try all of the things you have listed and will report back.

2. Thanks duece2seven thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The white background is important for verifying you are getting close to true color in the final shot after color adjustments.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    The white background is important for verifying you are getting close to true color in the final shot after color adjustments.
    Thank you very much Ray! I've been trying different things like you and Tracy have suggested and having pretty good results with full coin photos. It's the close up ones that are not easy because the closer I have to get the Jansjo's to the coin the light starts causing glare and distortion. The black electrical tape is helping but I think it's a matter of figuring out the right location to put the lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of incandescent is the consensus? I have a 25 Watt clear decorative bulb in my desk to goose neck but it is too bright most of the time. A diffuser, aka white v-neck, helps soften it a tad. My problem is that the lamp has the small bull format for finding white bulbs is a challenge. But I love the lamp because it has three pivot points and the heas swivels so it is great for creating angles without touching the coin or phone.

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used incandescents for a decade. LED all the way!
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    emodx I have a lamp with a 25 watt incandescent bulb too and have the same problem with 25 watts being too bright. I found other lower watt bulbs online but they were all clear. So I gave up and decided I might as well get used to working with the LED's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a 7 watt nite lite bulb??? That may help a bit with some shots... You can get them either clear or white!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Have you tried a 7 watt nite lite bulb??? That may help a bit with some shots... You can get them either clear or white!!!
    Funny you should say this, actually I have and I still had to create a paper dome to cover the bulb with. The night light bulb I found was clear (didn't see any white ones in the store that would probably work better). The light fixture is a decorate one with a cracked glass shade/cover. It will accommodate a small base bulb (chandelier or night light type) and the base of the fixture is square so I can lay it on it's side and move it around to where I need light. Tellin' ya... this girl ain't afraid of looking dumb and trying just about anything Today I was shooting a super shiny heavily abraded SKH through a toilet paper roll with holes cut in the sides

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Funny you should say this, actually I have and I still had to create a paper dome to cover the bulb with. The night light bulb I found was clear (didn't see any white ones in the store that would probably work better). The light fixture is a decorate one with a cracked glass shade/cover. It will accommodate a small base bulb (chandelier or night light type) and the base of the fixture is square so I can lay it on it's side and move it around to where I need light. Tellin' ya... this girl ain't afraid of looking dumb and trying just about anything Today I was shooting a super shiny heavily abraded SKH through a toilet paper roll with holes cut in the sides
    What is SKH? I recently bought a 25W eq. Natural light LED that has a longer LED . This helps a little with pinpoint LED reflections. Then I added two pieces of notebook paper as a diffuser. My lamp is a goose neck so it’s really good at making angles. I am shooting against white and I use a large envelope with a cellophane window as a reflector. I know you can buy a set up with lights and reflectors but I may just try to build one . IKEA has LED strips. So a white box with 4 LED strips on the sides will give equal lighting and the white background will reflect evenly.

i am finding my iPhone 8 has challenges capturing luster with a single pinpoint light source.

Attachment 132381 Attachment 132382
    Last edited by emodx; 07-22-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emodx View Post
    What is SKH? I recently bought a 25W eq. Natural light LED that has a longer LED . This helps a little with pinpoint LED reflections. Then I added two pieces of notebook paper as a diffuser. My lamp is a goose neck so it’s really good at making angles. I am shooting against white and I use a large envelope with a cellophane window as a reflector. I know you can buy a set up with lights and reflectors but I may just try to build one . IKEA has LED strips. So a white box with 4 LED strips on the sides will give equal lighting and the white background will reflect evenly.

i am finding my iPhone 8 has challenges capturing luster with a single pinpoint light source.

Attachment 132381 Attachment 132382
    Your images didn't upload correctly!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!