Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right Jim, the Denver coins had a mirror like appearance as compared to the Philadelphia coins. Might be just this difference in the sets I got. What is your general experience on the differences between the mints?

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MiciDragan View Post
    You are right Jim, the Denver coins had a mirror like appearance as compared to the Philadelphia coins. Might be just this difference in the sets I got. What is your general experience on the differences between the mints?
    I'm sure Jim and the others will chime in here Mici, but for some reason it just seems like Denver has better quality control than Philly does. Which probably accounts for the reason why there are more Philly doubled dies. I can say that when the new Philly Shield cents come out each year, they are covered with rinse spots, but not sure about the Denver ones because by the time I get Denver's they are already circulated and not easy to tell if they had rinse spots or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    I'm sure Jim and the others will chime in here Mici, but for some reason it just seems like Denver has better quality control than Philly does. Which probably accounts for the reason why there are more Philly doubled dies. I can say that when the new Philly Shield cents come out each year, they are covered with rinse spots, but not sure about the Denver ones because by the time I get Denver's they are already circulated and not easy to tell if they had rinse spots or not.
    Sorry West Coast folks.

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    .......... but for some reason it just seems like Denver has better quality control than Philly does. .......
    Don't Denver and Philly produce their own dies now?

I wonder if the equipment is older at Philly than Denver which might account for some of the difference in the number of varieties? Older equipment might have tolerances that have loosened up compared to right out of the factory, so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don'y forget the air quality factors... Philly has more salt in the air vs Denver as well as the altitude differences... Water quality can also make a big difference!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!