Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw die deterioration and MD and was about to toss in my copper bin when I decided to take a second look and glad I did.
    I hate to think of the stuff I've tossed back and missed.

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool find and pics Jon!! WTG!!

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks Jim! You are a mess!
    Yes I am
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Jim, you crack me up! I'm telling you... Jon has developed the eagle eye!!
    I know he has... Been using that Morgan Magic on the Loley Lincolns
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Jon has definitely put his talents searching Morgan VAMS to good use here.
    There are some minute details on those Morgans that differentiate one variety from another just like our favorite series.
    Thanks Cliff!! I am really enjoying the Lincoln hunt and have found both differences and similarities in searching Morgans. My biggest challenge with the Lincolns right now are the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cliff!! I am really enjoying the Lincoln hunt and have found both differences and similarities in searching Morgans. My biggest challenge with the Lincolns right now are the pics.
    I think your images are enviable. Especially compared to my phone images.

If you are finding it difficult I'm going to guess that is because of most of your experience imaging up to this point is on the shiny silvery Morgans. I've heard others say going back and forth (copper to shiny silver) is difficult and they make written notes for quick reference of the camera and light settings for each when they get desirable results.

11. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    I think your images are enviable. Especially compared to my phone images.

If you are finding it difficult I'm going to guess that is because of most of your experience imaging up to this point is on the shiny silvery Morgans. I've heard others say going back and forth (copper to shiny silver) is difficult and they make written notes for quick reference of the camera and light settings for each when they get desirable results.
    Thank you Cliff for thinking so. Besides the different color is the size difference for me. It's a lot easier to take close up pics of minute doubling and errors on the larger Morgan and I did so mostly with my digital camera. With the Lincolns I am having to use my scope camera which leaves much to be desired when it comes to depth shots. I recently got a newer digital camera that I think I will be able to use after I figure out how to manipulate it. I don't do well with change and new things, I'm simple that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....... I don't do well with change and new things, I'm simple that way.
    It must be an "old-ish" guy thing because that applies in this direction also!

14. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I know he has... Been using that Morgan Magic on the Loley Lincolns
    I definitely do not think anymore of the Morgan than the Lincoln. It's been very challenging working with the cent and very rewarding and fun! It's odd because I have come back to what got me into coins to begin with seven years ago. I opened up an eBay account to get rid of some odds and ends around the house and was surfing one day and ran across a 1914 D Lincoln auction that was getting ready to finish. To my amazement it went for $25,000. I started doing a lot of research on lots of different U.S. coinage and ended up getting stuck on Morgans for several years. The Lincoln was what brought me to coins in general though and then shortly there after to varieties. I love the Lincoln!

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely do not think anymore of the Morgan than the Lincoln. It's been very challenging working with the cent and very rewarding and fun! It's odd because I have come back to what got me into coins to begin with seven years ago. I opened up an eBay account to get rid of some odds and ends around the house and was surfing one day and ran across a 1914 D Lincoln auction that was getting ready to finish. To my amazement it went for $25,000. I started doing a lot of research on lots of different U.S. coinage and ended up getting stuck on Morgans for several years. The Lincoln was what brought me to coins in general though and then shortly there after to varieties. I love the Lincoln!
    What a cool story Jon! So you have been involved in the hobby longer than I realized, but still you are tearing into some Lincoln rolls and finding nice varieties! Your story is very similar to mine but my story involved a spam email I received about penny stocks, that led to an ebay search on "pennies" LOL... that led to seeing some amazing varieties and GEM's selling on the bay!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 01-14-2018 at 09:07 AM.

18. Thanks makecents thanked for this post