Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's 1979D RPM-001

Additional Information
    Date: 1979D
    Variety: RPM
    Mint: Denver

Help please! Coppercoins.com lists 3 RPM's for this year, the first one does not have photos, the one I have does not appear to match CC die 2, it might match CC die 3. Variety Vista lists one RPM for this year and this could be a match to it. Wexler does not list any for this year. Did the broken mint mark punch make this RPM undetectable in later die states?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did the broken mint mark punch make this RPM undetectable in later die states?
    I don't think so. The difference is the upper serif. The listable ones for the date will have a split upper serif. The damage was to the lower serif. Regular circulation wear is always a culprit when dealing with minor split serifs.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

3. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    I don't think so. The difference is the upper serif. The listable ones for the date will have a split upper serif. The damage was to the lower serif. Regular circulation wear is always a culprit when dealing with minor split serifs.
    Thank you Bob! So this one is PSD? Due to circulation wear I don't think I'm seeing a split upper serif.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yours is the broken punch... I see no split in the upper serif... Also your MM is to far east for CCs 003 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds and the rotation of your MM is to far CW for VVs 001 http://varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20R...979DRPM001.htm which is nearly vertical!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Yours is the broken punch... I see no split in the upper serif... Also your MM is to far east for CCs 003 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds and the rotation of your MM is to far CW for VVs 001 http://varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20R...979DRPM001.htm which is nearly vertical!!!
    Thank you Jim, and Bob! That lower split had me thinking this was really something! Very good information on the damage of this broken MM punch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Jim, and Bob! That lower split had me thinking this was really something! Very good information on the damage of this broken MM punch!
    You are welcome... This punch still fools me from time to time... Since yours shows a lot of the broken area it must be a real early die stage!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You are welcome... This punch still fools me from time to time... Since yours shows a lot of the broken area it must be a real early die stage!!!
    It's pretty cool to see that, now that I know what it is All of the ones I have seen so far are just completely filled MM's!

Post Thanks / Like
    That darn broken punch rears it's ugly head again!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post