Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    James.01

Unanswered: Machine doubling 1980 D? Did I recognize this correctly?

I couldn't resist grabbing this 1980 D, it is quite beautiful for coming out of a roll. this would be the first machine doubling coin I have found and just want to make sure I am learning how to recognize this correctly. Maybe it's not even machine doubling? Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Maybe but mostly what I see is reflection, shiny coins are hard to get good pics from and playing with lighting angles and diffusing the light would help.

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Such a shiny 1980D! That is what is giving you problems with the shine and light glare reflection. The 1980D's do not have a doubled die listing, there are a few 1980D RPM's though. 1980P has a very nice obverse doubled die! What type of lighting are you using? Sometimes just putting a piece of paper over the light helps enough to diffuse the light on these super shiny coins.

6. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    James.01
    Many thanks for the info and suggestions....really helpful! I am still learning how to get close up shots and will try diffusing the light and use different angles. I am using a carson video microscope and think the camera was too close and I had an extra light on the coin which probably added to the glare. I guess it's a nice problem to have...a shiny 37 year old coin instead of one with road rash. I appreciate everyone's help, especially with these "beginner" questions!

8. Thanks VAB2013, TPring thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Yes, you are right! Nice Lincoln you have there, but welcome to the club when it comes to getting photos of the shiny ones! To me the least amount of light is best, but then I tend to have pics that are a tad dark. You just have to play around and try different things. If you have LED lights, I've covered mine with toilet paper, just used regular tape. I know some people have put small pieces of black electrical tape over some of the LED's. Jim uses a sheet of white paper over his light to tone down the glare on coins. Try some different things and show us some updated photos when you can!

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    That is a nice looking roll coin... Like the others there is to much glare to tell what you have... If you can get pics without much glare that would be a big help!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post