Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2017P Unusual looking hole on Obverse

Additional Information
    Date: 2017P

Any idea what could have caused this unusual hole in the plating?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I see metal pushed towards the northeast. I'm thinking a gouge after the mint and now it's affecting the core.

4. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you enamel! So it was punctured after the strike? This came from a whole box of 2017P's, they don't look circulated.

Edit... sorry, I realize that's a dumb question but I'm not going to erase it. My thought was, when we get bricks of full 2017P's for example, and they do not appear to be circulated, I realize this could have happened at the mint or after it left the mint (PSD). But seeing this on what looks like an uncirculated coin just seems odd and makes me think the mint did it. Is that any better?!LOL
    Last edited by VAB2013; 02-12-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Edit

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that was in a full sealed box of 2017-P cents then I'd lean towards it came out of the mint or rolling outfit that way. Maybe it had something stuck on the planchet before plating or a bubble when plated then a speck of plating came off when struck. It could also have been a bubble that somehow got sheared off at the rolling outfit. That's only a guess based on context that it came from a solid date sealed brick.
    I have had a few sealed solid date bricks where among them there was one or a few oddballs, once even a single wheatie in a solid brick so you never know and the coin is spotty. I still lean towards it probably came out of the mint or at least out of the rolling outfit that way. Probably does not matter, it's a plating defect that came off.

I realize this could have happened at the mint or after it left the mint (PSD)
    Remember, PSD means post strike damage. Many coins get post strike damage before they leave the mint. If they mangle a coin at the mint after it's struck it's still PSD.

8. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks to be circulated to Viv. You can see where it's taken some hits on the obverse and reverse pics. Light, but they are there. Very cool looking though.

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    It looks to be circulated to Viv. You can see where it's taken some hits on the obverse and reverse pics. Light, but they are there. Very cool looking though.
    Thank you very much guys for looking at this odd coin. Jon, this is a sealed box of nothing but 2017P's so far. Makes me think they are not circulated and the rolling companies were clearing out all of their boxes to make room for the 2018's. If I find some other year coin in some rolls I would think differently. I'm really not sure how that works.

Post Thanks / Like
    The marks on the obv could be from a counting or rolling machine... I am leaning toward a gas bubble that got sheared... On your full obv pic the area around the hole appears to be slightly concave which adds to the thought of a gas bubble and with it opened up it has deflated!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

13. Thanks VAB2013, enamel7, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, enamel7, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found another one of those weird holes from this same Shield batch. Just odd that it's in the middle of the rinse spot on both coins.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance you can push down on those spots. Meaning, do you think the zinc below has corroded away?

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried that yet Cliff, just set them aside. The hole on the first one is so big you can see the edges of a top layer (plating) and then it goes deeper but just looks like darkness, not all the way through the coin.