Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    I haven't tried that yet Cliff, just set them aside. The hole on the first one is so big you can see the edges of a top layer (plating) and then it goes deeper but just looks like darkness, not all the way through the coin.
    OK. Thanks.
    I was just curious if it was hollow or a void underneath which might indicate the zinc core corroding away even in a relatively protected mint state without environmental influence.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get to close to those holes... A black hole can suck you in and never let go not even light escapes Can you find markers for a die match???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Cliff, I don't know it's just something I've never seen searching Shield bricks. Found 3 more that are similar.

LOL Jim, sorry to say I have not found a nice DD yet, a couple that are minors and one that might be better than a minor. Will look at it again later this evening!

Does anybody remember if one of the delisted 2017P's had this marker?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VAB2013; 02-15-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Cliff, I don't know it's just something I've never seen searching Shield bricks. Found 3 more that are similar.

LOL Jim, sorry to say I have not found a nice DD yet, a couple that are minors and one that might be better than a minor. Will look at it again later this evening!

Does anybody remember if one of the delisted 2017P's had this marker?
    LOL - Not markers for DDs but to see if the coins you have found with the holes came from the same die... If you match them to the same die then maybe it was something with the die punching holes into the coins??? Not sure about the chip... I think most if not all of the delisted dies had shield chips in the same area???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    LOL - Not markers for DDs but to see if the coins you have found with the holes came from the same die... If you match them to the same die then maybe it was something with the die punching holes into the coins??? Not sure about the chip... I think most if not all of the delisted dies had shield chips in the same area???
    I'm sorry Jim, I confused myself... No I have not checked to see if the ones with the holes are from the same die, but I will check that and see.

The photo I attached of the die chip on the lower portion of the top of the Shield is a marker for the DD that might be a tad better than minor. I thought I remembered seeing this same die chip on one of the listed DD's that got de-listed but wanted to double check with you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem... Would be cool if they were all the same die as that would throw another twist into the mix!!!
    Jim

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem... Would be cool if they were all the same die as that would throw another twist into the mix!!!
    Well Jim, they are from different dies. So far I have 2 for sure from the same die, big ole die crack on the upper left Shield that matches. And 3 that I cannot find markers on. I have barely put a dent in this box of Shields. Really.. I'm not trying to find these spots. I am looking at 8 Shields at a time on an index card, scanning from Liberty to the date, flipping over and checking the LB and JFM. So if a spot shows up around these areas, I would catch it. If I find some more I'll set them aside, but really it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pinpoint what the cause is. My feelings are it might have something to do with the solvent the mint is using to rinse coins because these spots are bigger than what is usually seen. Maybe the solvent sat on the coin too long and literally ate through the plating, or made it a weak spot that was more subject to taking a hit, but the hits are in the middle of the spot. Seems odd that every one of them took a hit in the center??

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... Thanks for the follow up... Another unexplained coin damage that goes into the x files
    Jim

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... Thanks for the follow up... Another unexplained coin damage that goes into the x files
    Yes Jim, one of those unsolved mysteries! The thing that bugs me is, I have looked at a lot of full bricks of Shield cents and have seen the normal looking rinse spots. These spots are bigger and to top things off, they have holes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Jim, one of those unsolved mysteries! The thing that bugs me is, I have looked at a lot of full bricks of Shield cents and have seen the normal looking rinse spots. These spots are bigger and to top things off, they have holes!
    Makes me wonder if there was some thing highly acidic in the cleaning solution???
    Jim