Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1961d MM similarity/difference

I am working on two coins that have the MM in exactly the same location and at the same tilt/angle [AFAICT] however, up close, they do not look even remotely similar [see pics]. Is this another example of change between different stages or, are they in fact two different coins with strikingly similar [no pun intended] MM locations?

P.S. -- I have not yet tried to find the correct RPM variety: Just identifying similar coins in my lot. Stage information on 61Ds is sparse so an overlay is my only useful tool for identifying (at this point).

Thanks for any assistance,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TPring; 02-13-2018 at 09:22 PM.

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey TPring! Are you saying that you did an overlay and it matches but the MM's in the photos don't look the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Hey TPring! Are you saying that you did an overlay and it matches but the MM's in the photos don't look the same?

Yes, I did an overlay {Thanks again} and the MM locations and angles match but, the actual MMs look completely different. The photos themselves are at slightly different angles so, no, the photos don't look the same either.
    Last edited by TPring; 02-13-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The two pics I see show the first one closer to the 6 than the second one.

6. Thanks TPring, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are thinking on the right track because I have noticed that the appearance of MM's does change at different die stages. May sound crazy but I have had the differences in different colors of the coins in photos throw me off too, like a dark color can make a MM look thinner, when actually it was not thinner once I did an overlay.

Hey, you are welcome, glad you are having fun with the overlays!

8. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    ...glad you are having fun with the overlays!
    LOL, it [along with the scope] has easily created four times the work because now I can be so much more accurate [than previously] and am finding so many more varieties.

Hmmm, maybe you two are right. I have been toying with this about 20 minutes with the overlays and they are ohhh so close.

edit: currently working on about fifty 1961d RPMs and am getting a bit taxed.
    Last edited by TPring; 02-13-2018 at 10:38 PM.

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    LOL, it [along with the scope] has easily created four times the work because now I can be so much more accurate [than previously] and am finding so many more varieties.

Hmmm, maybe you two are right. I have been toying with this about 20 minutes with the overlays and they are ohhh so close.

edit: currently working on over forty 1961d RPMs and am getting a bit taxed.

Oh wow TPring! That's a bunch of 61D's! It seems like you are putting similar ones together to make the easier to attribute? I can see where doing that would help, just never had that many at once to try it. Don't you love your new scope?! I am really enjoying the Celestron too! Hang in there with those RPM's, I have confidence in you!

12. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think these are things I should/could post in the "Varieties by Year" forum? Or is that reserved?

If I can get them identified I'm hoping to find some markers to post with the pics [if that is allowed] to help others because there is not enough information out there when it comes to identifying stages and markers.

It seems like you are putting similar ones together to make the easier to attribute?

Yes, bought some coin envelopes to keep them in and make notes on until I can get them figured out.

edit: You are up late.
    Last edited by TPring; 02-13-2018 at 10:48 PM.

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    Do you think these are things I should/could post in the "Varieties by Year" forum? Or is that reserved?

Yes, bought some coin envelopes to keep them in and make notes on until I can get them figured out.
    I really like that idea to separate them and make notes!

I wasn't sure about the "Varieties by Year" so I had to go look. It says "Please do not start new threads" so it is reserved.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 02-13-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Edited because I don't know how to multiple quote LOL

16. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to agree with enamel. It looks almost dead on east to west but the first one is definitely further north. It looks like and almost perfectly inverted mm too, if you flipped either one over they would be very similar. The top of the first one is skinny and the top of the second one is fat.

Nice pics and work!!

18. Thanks VAB2013, TPring thanked for this post