Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyblue View Post
    Look at the photo of LINCOLN's chin I have seen clashes on morgan's that look like that, around the throat area, in fact I have some where the N is clashing through. Thanks for looking..................dinkyblue
    You are correct, the N clash at the neck is the most common on a Morgan but they do not protrude in the extreme way the gouge at your date does.

I would have to say that what you are seeing on the chin is a piece of copper peeled back. PSD.
    Last edited by makecents; 02-15-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen many die gouges, die dents, scrapes etc. on Lincoln cents and I can assure you that the strength of this one is not unique. Dropped tools or tool marks were prevalent in the earlier dates. The point I am trying to make concerning clashes is that just having a clash mark ONLY where the planter tip is, is just not good science. The planter tip is hardly a place where clash marks would appear before any other marks. In addition, there is nothing on the coin that could clash in the manner you suggest. In order to make that mark through the 6, it would have to be an elongated tapered device. There is nothing to make that mark. It is very easy to think something lines up but respectfully, in this case, I think it is fishing for something. We use that terminology here occasionally and it is called pareidolia.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

3. Thanks VAB2013, dinkyblue, TPring thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Subset of apophenia __ is the spontaneous perception of connections and meaningfulness of unrelated phenomena. The term was coined by German neurologist Klaus Conrad (1905-1961) Psychotic people...................Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    .............. Psychotic people...................Dan
    Dan, I don't think it was intended as humorous but that has probably been used by many to describe our numismatic hobby-obsession. We've all seen the look in their eyes when we try to describe our excitement over some find or interesting earth shattering numismatic revelation!
    Followed up by them saying "Uh.. What?"

6. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Dan, I don't think it was intended as humorous but that has probably been used by many to describe our numismatic hobby-obsession. We've all seen the look in their eyes when we try to describe our excitement over some find or interesting earth shattering numismatic revelation!
    Followed up by them saying "Uh.. What?"

I have seen that look and my wife then says "ok dear, if you say so"
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's all right, I tend not to let things bother me, I'v said this before, I'm new at this, the doctor said after triple by-pass surgery not to lift any thing over 10lb. In stead of just sitting around doing nothing at all, I thought wait penny's don't weigh very much so I started 5 years ago collecting them. Some of these people here have been doing it for years and years and it is "old hat" for them. There is one thing that I like about it and that is it keeps my mind busy doing something other than watching football or TV and my wife likes it to. I wish I could have started earlier in life but I didn't so here I am, guess you all are stuck with me. I'll make plenty of mistakes but you will learn more about me that way. I hope Everyone has a great day, that's my attitude....................Dan

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's all right, I tend not to let things bother me, I'v said this before, I'm new at this, the doctor said after triple by-pass surgery not to lift any thing over 10lb. In stead of just sitting around doing nothing at all, I thought wait penny's don't weigh very much so I started 5 years ago collecting them. Some of these people here have been doing it for years and years and it is "old hat" for them. There is one thing that I like about it and that is it keeps my mind busy doing something other than watching football or TV and my wife likes it to. I wish I could have started earlier in life but I didn't so here I am, guess you all are stuck with me. I'll make plenty of mistakes but you will learn more about me that way. I hope Everyone has a great day, that's my attitude....................Dan
    I think a brick is more than 10 pounds tho I have a messed up lower back and not suppose to lift any thing over 10 either but I hate being indoors... Makes me feel like I am in prison... I can not do much and I am not that much into watching the tube either unless there are good science shows on... That's why I look at coins... Any way back to the coin... One thing a lot of people forget is how the die actually looks... On the coin the field areas are the dies face... Everything else on the coin is below the face of the die... The deepest areas of the die are the highest areas on the coin such as the the urns on the rev or the highest point of Abes chin... If on your coin the urn was to clash at the chin or the R at the date there would have been clash marks from other areas since those areas on the die are so deep... I was trying to make a 3D cut away view from one of my coins but I wasn't able to make them look good enough... I'm no Ray and my 3D skills are lacking... Hope that helps a little!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate you saying that, It does make me feel better. I know that feeling "like your in prison". Every morning at 6:00 am I walk 2 miles a day I haven't missed very few day in 5 years. I do it to keep going. I enjoy searching for error coins as a hobby. I'll make plenty of mistakes along the way but that's how I learn, buy my errors you might say. Thanks again.....................Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate you saying that, It does make me feel better. I know that feeling "like your in prison". Every morning at 6:00 am I walk 2 miles a day I haven't missed very few day in 5 years. I do it to keep going. I enjoy searching for error coins as a hobby. I'll make plenty of mistakes along the way but that's how I learn, buy my errors you might say. Thanks again.....................Dan
    I'm up at 0400... I don't sleep well any way... Wish I could walk 200 hundred feet with out my legs taking a break Before I messed my back up I would run 6 miles every morning then try to play a game of basket ball, hand ball or volley ball!!!
    Jim