Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

True Grey background sticker

I ran across some True Grey sticker material at the local electronics surplus sale. This stuff is great for white balancing or as a background to guarantee accurate colors. The surface has a range of grey tones so you can get a good color balance over some dynamic range.

If you want a sticker, PM me and I will give you my address to send a SASE. The stickers are 4"x5" so make sure the SASE is big enough. Or I can cut down a sticker to fit a small envelope.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents, jallengomez thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents, jallengomez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is very cool Ray! Thank you! PM heading your way!

4. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    I ran across some True Grey sticker material at the local electronics surplus sale. This stuff is great for white balancing or as a background to guarantee accurate colors. The surface has a range of grey tones so you can get a good color balance over some dynamic range.

If you want a sticker, PM me and I will give you my address to send a SASE. The stickers are 4"x5" so make sure the SASE is big enough. Or I can cut down a sticker to fit a small envelope.
    Ray, I have had major issues until recently taking pics of Lincolns. I have a dark blue velvet box that a Morgan came in that seemed like the perfect thing to use when taking pics of Morgans because it would not scratch or damage the coin when moving it around. It actually works very well for Morgans but not so much for Lincolns. I just recently laid a Lincoln on the outside of a white coin flip to take pics of and my camera has dialed in on the coin like never before. Were the issues with the blue background and my recent success with the white background more than likely because of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Ray, I have had major issues until recently taking pics of Lincolns. I have a dark blue velvet box that a Morgan came in that seemed like the perfect thing to use when taking pics of Morgans because it would not scratch or damage the coin when moving it around. It actually works very well for Morgans but not so much for Lincolns. I just recently laid a Lincoln on the outside of a white coin flip to take pics of and my camera has dialed in on the coin like never before. Were the issues with the blue background and my recent success with the white background more than likely because of this?
    If you are doing auto white balance, most likely the problem was the background. The camera will adjust the white balance according to background and foreground colors, so might have been skewing your color too much. A grey background helps with this. I don't recommend auto white balance because of this. If you do manual white balance you can use the background for a reference. Some programs allow you to alter the white balance later so if you shoot with a white or grey background you can dial in the color after the shot.

Note that "white" is just a more reflective "grey". "Black" is a less reflective "grey". What grey means is that all colors are absorbed fairly equally so that the resulting color has equal R G and B. What we call "grey" actually absorbs some of the light rather than reflecting all of it (like white).
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

7. Thanks jfines69, Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    If you are doing auto white balance, most likely the problem was the background. The camera will adjust the white balance according to background and foreground colors, so might have been skewing your color too much. A grey background helps with this. I don't recommend auto white balance because of this. If you do manual white balance you can use the background for a reference. Some programs allow you to alter the white balance later so if you shoot with a white or grey background you can dial in the color after the shot.

Note that "white" is just a more reflective "grey". "Black" is a less reflective "grey". What grey means is that all colors are absorbed fairly equally so that the resulting color has equal R G and B. What we call "grey" actually absorbs some of the light rather than reflecting all of it (like white).
    Very cool!! Thank you for the info sir!