Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAD Clash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    S'ok Cliff, don't feel embarrassed! Die clashes are not easy to capture and that is a real shiny 2000! Plus, I betcha the sun is shining where you are today

Just give Jim a little while to perform his camera magic on this shiny Lincoln and ya'll get this thing figured out!
    Thanks for the encouragement Viv, because it is a bugger for me right now. Phone is just not consistent.
    (Couldn't possibly be operator error.)

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement Viv, because it is a bugger for me right now. Phone is just not consistent.
    You are welcome Cliff! No, it's not operator error, every coin has a different challenge. Just enough to keep us on our toes and aggravated at times

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean... That anti vibration software on those fones doesn't work
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, still have it.
    I'll drop it in the mail Monday. Thanks.
    (Sorry, that second set was truly embarrassing! )
    Cool... Looking forward to seeing this one in hand... Hopefully I can get some good pics and we can get this one figured out... Your pics aren't to bad... I just can not tell what is there!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are not kidding when you said that your pics weren't that good for showing this clash... A very nice obv/rev clash but a strange one also... There are also no abrasions from the mint attempting to remove the clashes at least not that I see... I did a close up overlay and have included a set of close ups with pointers... The pointers are of the easy to see clashes... There is a lot going on that I did not point out as there is not enough space on the pics to put the pointers in If you compare the overlay and the other close ups you will see all the clashes... The dies are misaligned and some what convex otherwise parts of LIBERTY would have show up in the bays as well as columns and bays on the obv!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You are not kidding when you said that your pics weren't that good for showing this clash... A very nice obv/rev clash but a strange one also... There are also no abrasions from the mint attempting to remove the clashes at least not that I see... I did a close up overlay and have included a set of close ups with pointers... The pointers are of the easy to see clashes... There is a lot going on that I did not point out as there is not enough space on the pics to put the pointers in If you compare the overlay and the other close ups you will see all the clashes... The dies are misaligned and some what convex otherwise parts of LIBERTY would have show up in the bays as well as columns and bays on the obv!!!

Superb images Jim.
    Your images explain why I couldn't picture the overlay in my mind.
    On the reverse the interior central elements of the obverse die are prevalent, while the "normal" elements (ie: TY, top of head, C, NT, etc) aren't showing up. (Sort of like an inverse(?) clash!)

The clashed area under the steps is the top of the ear/hair so the curved line of bumps coming off it to the SE must be the hair line.
    Really super images showing off the detail.

I can't believe how much detail you pulled out of the obverse. I only saw the short horizontal line to the left and above of the notch is his lapel.

You're so right about so much going on with this one.
    And since it appears no polishing was done to remove it, it makes my imagination go into overdrive wondering what is hidden on other coins by all the heavily polished lines and thick multiple gouges from the mint workers.
    Cliff

Last edited by Petespockets55; 03-22-2018 at 02:37 PM.

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Superb images Jim.
    Your images explain why I couldn't picture the overlay in my mind.
    On the reverse the interior central elements of the obverse die are prevalent, while the "normal" elements (ie: TY, top of head, C, NT, etc) aren't showing up. (Sort of like an inverse(?) clash!)

The clashed area under the steps is the top of the ear/hair so the curved line of bumps coming off it to the SE must be the hair line.
    Really super images showing off the detail.

I can't believe how much detail you pulled out of the obverse. I only saw the short horizontal line to the left and above of the notch is his lapel.

You're so right about so much going on with this one.
    Cliff
    I think the lite angles and that I use image stacking helps a lot... There is a lot going on with the clash!!!
    Jim

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a great die clash! Jim, your photos and overlay are excellent and you did a fantastic job showing where the clash marks are located! Congrats Cliff for finding this one! Guys, this die clash has clash marks showing up where I've never seen them show up before! Definitely one to keep nearby for when we hear back from Jason!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    What a great die clash! Jim, your photos and overlay are excellent and you did a fantastic job showing where the clash marks are located! Congrats Cliff for finding this one! Guys, this die clash has clash marks showing up where I've never seen them show up before! Definitely one to keep nearby for when we hear back from Jason!
    That is what makes this one strange for me but it all lines up... I really do wish Jason was back with us... His photographs are top notch!!!
    Jim

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theory 1 is that maybe the obverse had been heavily polished which would have removed the outer elements (devices and field) on the face of the die, allowing the center devices of the die to show up. But even though I see fairly strong die flow lines I don't see any evidence of the exterior devices having been polished away.
    The only way I see this happening is if the mint replaced the original obverse die that had been heavily polished around the perimeter with one that had already been used in production (which may explain the die flow lines).

Theory 2 is that the obverse die was manufactured convex instead of concave.

Theory 3 is that the obverse die had a catastrophic failure and imparted the design on the reverse die.