Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit late to the party Viv but you could get a dime store stainless steel rule and cover it in clear packing tape. I can't imagine that tape scratching a coin and you can't get much thinner.

John
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneman227 View Post
    A bit late to the party Viv but you could get a dime store stainless steel rule and cover it in clear packing tape. I can't imagine that tape scratching a coin and you can't get much thinner.

John
    Thank you John! We are on the same track here! I have given strong consideration to wood, and it's not out of the mix yet. But, today I was thinking about a spackling tool because it is pretty flat and has a handle, either plastic or maybe metal so if I needed to bend the handle a little bit. The flatter the better for the way my scope works. If metal I would need to cover it with something because the shiny metal might be worse than looking at brand new Shield cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you John! We are on the same track here! I have given strong consideration to wood, and it's not out of the mix yet. But, today I was thinking about a spackling tool because it is pretty flat and has a handle, either plastic or maybe metal so if I needed to bend the handle a little bit. The flatter the better for the way my scope works. If metal I would need to cover it with something because the shiny metal might be worse than looking at brand new Shield cents
    Black construction paper with tape on it to keep the paper from fraying?

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used flat black spray paint to kill the reflection where the coin sets on my full coin reflection rig
    http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...highlight=1944

John
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Cliff and John! You guys have great ideas and I really appreciate your help! I'm leaning toward getting the 6" spackling tool in metal and painting the shiny metal black (unless I can find one already black) that way I can get 2 rolls of 8 cents (maybe 3 if I can figure out how to get rid of the posts that hold the slide clips) It will be nice to be more efficient with the time I have to roll search!

9. Likes stoneman227 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use plastic discs, either 60mm or 75mm diameter. One side I stick photographic velvet sticker material, so that the background disappears when I take photos of the coin. Other side I put a true grey sticker material for white balancing and sometimes as a background for proving the photo is color-corrected.

edited to add: I call these "transfer discs"
    Last edited by ray_parkhurst; 04-11-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    What do you guys use instead of placing your coin on a slide to see it under your scopes? I need something better than an index card, because I put 8 coins on a card and look at the fronts, flip the coins over to see the reverses and after a few rolls the index card gets bent and it messes up the focus.

I'm just about ready to go cut the handle off my spatula LOL... ideas appreciated!

Heh -- You need to look at erecting a conveyor belt.
    Last edited by TPring; 04-11-2018 at 07:24 PM.

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    Heh -- You need to look at erecting a conveyor belt.
    that's a great idea TPring! I'm just trying to maximize the time I have to search and hopefully find more!

I don't think I mentioned this but before I started this thread and was looking for ideas, I was at Wally World and the only thing I found that I thought might work was a 35 pack of 4x6 foam sheets in "bright neon colors" for a buck so I got them. I've cut one to fit the index card and taped it at the bottom and have been using this for about a week. Here's what I like about it... the foam is soft against the coin, I can get 14 Lincoln's on it at a time and it's sturdy enough to keep the coins on there without them falling off and the foam actually helps to keep the coin on there. Also funny... I can dig my fingernails into the foam and it actually helps to move the coins around under the scope to where I need to see! Downside... ugly neon colors!

I want to cut the 2 posts that hold the clips off the platform of the Celestron. Then I can add another roll of cents and have 21 on there at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    You need something with rows and columns so you don't get the coins confused when the same date/mm
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You need something with rows and columns so you don't get the coins confused when the same date/mm
    Thanks to you guys I can just about look at any coin, except for wheats, and know what to look for so having dates mixed up doesn't mess with me anymore! Since I am not pre-looking at the coins before I scope them, having more to see at once saves time instead of putting one coin under the scope at a time. The more the merrier!