Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Grading Service???

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I have been on the site, but I am finally able to get back to the hunt for Lincoln gold!

I have a few dozen coins I would like to get professionally graded and slabbed. There is a local show coming up that will have a booth by ANACS.

Any input would be helpful in deciding if I should have ANACS grade my coins, or if another service might be better.

Some examples of coins I'd like to have graded are: 1988 RDV-006, 1994 DDR, 1997 DDO, 1984 DDO, 1964 DDR, 1983 die clash/extra letters. Also not sure if it's worth sending in some of my best 1998 or 2000 WAM's.

Any advise and/or opinions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As we all know, Grading can be expensive. For a Variety cent, attributed, by PCGS, it can average about $43 per coin!. ANACS is cheaper and will grade most if not all varieties while PCGS ONLY grades those in the Cherry Pickers Guide. So your 1983 clash die, they will not attribute at PCGS. Many folks feel that grading is not worth the cost if the coin is not worth what it cost to grade. My view is for preservation, or my own expectation to keep the coin, and not flip it or sell it , It can be worth it.

One other fact, You do not need to have a membership to submit coin to ANACS, but PCGS, you must BUY a membership, or find a dealer who will submit them for you. Not sure on NGC rules, but I am sure someone will chime in.

WS

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of those would be ok for ANACs.
    (PCGS will only do your 83 if it's the CLO in the CPG)
    Depending on the grades, the group might be a better fit for ANACs or some if lower grades just kept in flips.

I sometimes felt remorse after sending in groups because I'll find a better coin and think I should have sent it instead of something I already sent, also if you look they sometimes have sales/deals. So my advice is not to rush, put together a good group and try for a sale/deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    PCGS for resale, NGC is the middle guy and ANACS if you want a variety friendly coin service that does a great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back to the fold!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaterSport View Post
    As we all know, Grading can be expensive. .......My view is for preservation, or my own expectation to keep the coin, and not flip it or sell it...... One other fact, You do not need to have a membership to submit coin to ANACS, but PCGS, you must BUY a membership, or find a dealer who will submit them for you...... WS
    Expensive for sure but good information!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Most of those would be ok for ANACs........... So my advice is not to rush, put together a good group and try for a sale/deal.

Unfortunately PCGS just ended a good grading deal March 31.

Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    PCGS for resale, NGC is the middle guy and ANACS if you want a variety friendly coin service that does a great job.
    PCGS use to get the most at the auction block. Since they have "loosened" their standards to increase their volume I'm not so sure anymore.

For some reason I am drawn to PCGS (Hopefully PCGS maneuvering doesn't cause me to be like a moth being drawn to flames value wise) but....

ANACS is very "collector friendly" for many reasons.
    1)Coin ID is visible from the top of the slab without removing from the storage box. The top of the slab is strategically curved so the information points up. You don't have to lift each slab to see what's in it.
    2)They will slab all coins that are attributed by an accepted organization- Copper coins, Variety Vista, Wexler, etc, (if there are others)
    3)Cost seems to be the most reasonable of the top three.
    4)As mentioned, no additional cost of membership fees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for all the great input!

Some I was planning on keeping for myself, and some to sell. Maybe for now I'll send a few of the keepers in to ANACS, and hold off on the others until another deal comes around at PCGS.

Very helpful and much appreciated.

Happy Hunting!