Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1969.... unknown mint (no it's not a Philly coin or missing mark)

I apologize if this is not the correct way or forum to ask this, but i got the motherload of some great pennies the other day and this one is stumping me atm... trying to catalog this but i cannot tell if this mark is a severely damaged D, S or... and yes (just theorizing) S over D but when the S was struck over the already raised D it took a little chip of the coin off. #3 is a little out there but anything is possible, right? adding a couple different angels cause it kinda looks like either or depending on orientation. What do you all think? I'm not as well versed in Lincoln's myself.Sadly reverse is either horrid PMD or the worst strike I've had myself. to
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Coin Wired; 04-12-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: no pictures

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I tried to zoom in on your photos it got blurry, so if you can get a close up of the mint mark that would help. Best I can tell it looks like a S or D mint mark with post strike damage. It's odd looking for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Viv is on target again.
    When you see a lot of damage to the coin surface, that is going to be the culprit. the copper is actually pretty soft and can be pushed around and contorted into all kinds of shapes as it gets stepped on.
    The "S" shaped anomaly isn't the right type/shape/font that the mint used.

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah i noticed that the S was way off as well and the D would be. figured there was some wear, but only that spot has that friction "damage" that would push the right of D to the left... just leaving no stone unturned with these things. but here's the closet i will probably be able to get, cleaned it up and i added a negative. sometimes the negative helps see beyond the glare and any shine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Displaced metal due to the PSD (hit)... Looks like that coin left no stone unturned
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!