Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DavidB

What should i do with this

Hello all, Hope all is well. Could someone shine some light my way and tell me what to do with this coin.
    You can see letters on the obverse where the date should be but there is no lettering on the reverse to coincide with them.
    Maybe it could be some kind of plating issue or somebody tried to destroy it. How can I find out for sure what it is ?
    Thanks in advance, David Fri Apr 13 13-07-08.jpg
    uo.jpg
    ur.jpg
    Fri Apr 13 13-20-23.jpg

2. Thanks VAB2013, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like some yellow green residue on the surface and some corrosive material dissolved the copper.
    In other words, post strike damage.
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 04-15-2018 at 08:56 AM.

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me it looks like it sat in someones car for 20 years collecting a bunch of spilled sodas and other gunk You can soak it in acetone and that should loosen or dissolve most of what is there!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the others said, just a damaged coin.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing else to do but spend it, it's a got gunk stuck on it

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Lunstedt, WaterSport liked this post
    DavidB
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm thinking along the lines with petespockets55. I'm still wondering about the letters I can see. More prominent with a loop and coin in hand. There is no gunk or foreign matter on the coin all the black spots is where the copper is missing. Back in the bag for another day
    Thanks to all , David

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that was damage from an acid compound you may want to store it separate... It could cause damage to other coins???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    DavidB

Hello all

It has been quite awhile since I last logged on and posted. Life got in the way I was using a cell phone for images and threads. Now I have a laptop and USB microscope.
    Lets take another look at my cent that I didn't know what I should do with. I have much better images and I'm pondering the thought of sending it to ANACS
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Lunstedt, GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello David! Nice to see you back and now you have some more "new" ammo, that's great! I am definitely not the person to help you with this cent, but we have many others here who are! First thing to come to mind is if the images you are seeing are incuse mirror images. Your pics are very good, but there's so much going on I can't really tell.

Here is a link to error-ref.com to explain incuse mirror images caused by "squeeze job" and below is from our Glossary.

http://www.error-ref.com/squeeze-job...or-garage-job/

Garage Job: Also called a squeeze job, vice job, or hammer job, this is intentional post-strike damage when a coin is smashed against another coin or object, usually in an attempt to make it look like a genuine mint error. When squeezed or smashed against another coin, a mirror-image in reverse relief of each coin’s devices will transfer onto the other. Below you can see a mirrored incuse LIBERTY on the coin as the result of being pressed into another cent.

18. Likes Lunstedt, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back but these images definitely show letters in reverse set into some kind of residue (hot wax, dried glue or dried soda). When the letters or design elements are in reverse that is a good indication it is Post Strike Damage.

The date is not visible because of the gunk covering it.
    None of the secondary images are on identifiable parts of the actual copper. Not Lincolns face, collar or coat.

EDIT: To answer your original question- Spend it (or trade it for another cent?)
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 04-03-2019 at 03:24 AM.

20. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post