Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1974 D Obverse Die Crack

Found a 1974 D LMC with a die crack on the obverse. Thought it might reach rim to rim but comes up a little short in the D in GOD. I'm still thrilled to discover it. There is something strange around the word STATES on the reverse. My guess is when the die cracked it created a bit of Mechanical Doubling on the reverse. I'm open to suggestions so let me know what you think.

I also tried researching this error but came up emptied handed. Perhaps I need to send a set of photos to Cuds on Coins for attribution.

Keep searching, they're out there!

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice find!! That is soooo close! Well, if nothing else, you have a very nice Spike Head discovery! There are none beyond 1973. Congrats!! LINK (http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cen...ads-1970-1979/)

4. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me that does not look like a crack??? Cracks normally meander a little bit... Also it appears to be incuse (sunk in) instead of in relief (raised)... Cracks will be in relief... I do not think it is a struck thru but more along the lines of Post Strike Damage (PSD)... The rev at STA of STATES looks to be PSD... I can see where the Ts vertical bar has taken a hit and metal displaced to the east (right)!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    To me that does not look like a crack??? Cracks normally meander a little bit... Also it appears to be incuse (sunk in) instead of in relief (raised)... Cracks will be in relief... I do not think it is a struck thru but more along the lines of Post Strike Damage (PSD)... The rev at STA of STATES looks to be PSD... I can see where the Ts vertical bar has taken a hit and metal displaced to the east (right)!!!
    I actually thought the same thing until I got to the 4th pic. enlarge and look at the south east corner, I'm pretty sure it's raised.

8. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with both of you. It does look raised but I've never seen one so straight. Like an arrow.
    Really interesting example.
    Wonder if Bill can get a close-up of the D (GOD)?

10. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning all. Submitted the 1974 D LMC to Cuds on Coins. JC kindly replied and stated he believes it to be a scratch and not a die crack. I'll pull it back out today when I return home from work & see if I can get a tighter look at the line under the microscope. I'll get a close up of the D for you Pete.

12. Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the 5th pic, it starts on the rim. I think if it was a die crack then it won't show on the rim?

Really sharp scratches tend to raise metal along the edges, that might make it look raised.

14. Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, once again you have Jim Jim Jimmied me!! Out Jimmed. Sorry Bill for getting your hopes up. There will be others though!

16. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    Try to get image with a single light source coming from opposite sides of the coin.
    About 2:00 and 7:00? That will help show recessed or raised areas pretty well.

EDIT:I mean one closeup image with light at 2:00 then another image with the light source at 7:00.
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 02-07-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Clarify

18. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the LED lites on the scope are causing some reflections that are making it look raised... If Bill is able to get some better pics that may help... I am sure you will OJJ me in a future post
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

20. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post