Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Stevens View Post
    Not so fast.

Now the question on this one, the die chip in the 'E'. Is the chip wider than the top bar of the 'E".
    I did my best and used the west side of the "E" as my guide to first orientate the letter as I felt that was the only constant. Using the southwest corner as the fulcrum, I squared it the best I could and then used this same point to put a rectangle around it. See what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the determining factor should be 'Does the crack or chip originate between the letters?' If it does, that should be considered the BIE criteria. I don't think we should make more of this than is there. JC can list anything he sees as appropriate for this classification though, so it is his call.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting... Could that be displaced metal pushed over into the field due to the circ wear???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help on this guys but I think I am done with this thread. I have to default to those that know and to the powers that be. Where I am new to this and do not know a lot yet, this is my only choice and will always listen to those more knowledgeable. I kinda felt like I was in the old west there yesterday, having just walked out of the saloon into the street, only to find I was in the middle of two gun slingers with no where to go!

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry this thread made you feel that way Jon, but I understand. Your thread has helped us with some answers with understanding these in the future, so that is a big plus! I think if the die chip in the E had extended just a little bit more into the space between, then you would have an EIR.

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks for all the help on this guys but I think I am done with this thread. I have to default to those that know and to the powers that be. Where I am new to this and do not know a lot yet, this is my only choice and will always listen to those more knowledgeable. I kinda felt like I was in the old west there yesterday, having just walked out of the saloon into the street, only to find I was in the middle of two gun slingers with no where to go!
    As long as you were only winged you will be back
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pickins have been slim lately but found a nice unlisted "BIE" tonight. Nice reverse marker too.

Thanks for looking, Jon.
    Jean Cohen in her Lincoln variety encyclopedia shows this exact coin on page 342 and has given it a catalog number of sm60D-CL271. "CL" meaning clogged letters. Very nice coin. I am an avid collector of BIE's and varieties of the 1960D small date. There are hundreds of breaks and chips that make this a long term quest. Thank you for posting this coin
    Last edited by coulsonmd; 02-03-2019 at 02:44 PM.

14. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coulsonmd View Post
    Jean Cohen in her Lincoln variety encyclopedia shows this exact coin on page 342 and has given it a catalog number of sm60D-CL271. "CL" meaning clogged letters. Very nice coin. I am an avid collector of BIE's and varieties of the 1960D small date. There are hundreds of breaks and chips that make this a long term quest. Thank you for posting this coin
    Thank you for the information!! There are a few books I need to take time to purchase.

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the information!! There are a few books I need to take time to purchase.
    Those books are hard to come by... If memory serves me correctly they were last printed in 1969???
    Jim

18. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Those books are hard to come by... If memory serves me correctly they were last printed in 1969???
    I'm sure they are. Speaking of which, here is one I ran across going through some of my Dad's things. Just a few random shots....

Sorry guys, was not thinking....
    Last edited by makecents; 02-06-2019 at 02:38 AM.

20. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post