Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1946p, more than PSD? (Y in relief on reverse)

Additional Information
    Date: 1946p

Another for your viewing & sluething. I found this wheat in a BWR.
    I saw the thin & weak devices on the obverse and flipped it, out of habit, to look at the corresponding area on the reverse.
    I thought my eyes were playing tricks when I saw the Y on the rim and then the raised right angle lines as well.
    See if you can tell which impression was made first. The LWC reverse or the geometric lines.
    The small circular area at ONE lines up with the weakness above RTY.
    And as always, thanks for looking and any comments.

Edit- On closer inspection, it looks like the wheat cent was made first. Some elements made me wonder which had been struck first.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 04-30-2018 at 02:36 AM.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, that is bizarre. Really good photos! Do you think something fell between the two dies? I don't know that's a big Y... Can you give us a close up at IGWT?
    Last edited by VAB2013; 04-30-2018 at 08:46 PM.

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Cliff, that is bizarre. Really good photos! Do you think something fell between the two dies? I don't know that's big Y... Can you give us a close up at IGWT?

Oh, you know better Viv

It clearly was not something between the dies, the obv is smashed as if on cement not in a die when some mystery item with the letters (incuse if I see it right) was mashed over the rev which brought up the raised letters.

A wild guess, whatever it was probably wasn't a coin because most aren't incuse.
    As always with PSD, it's tough to say exactly what or why because the possibilities are limitless.

6. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed and Viv.
    I was hoping someone might recognize the design (foreign coin?), because the mint has produced coins for multiple countries (LINK). I was also just trying to see if anyone could tell which occurred first, if indeed the impression was a
    device from a die intended for a foreign coin.

The coin is tapered, with the area at the Y being the thinnest (+-75% of normal). I was definitely perplexed that the obverse area opposite the Y had any design element left at all with how strong the Y is. I thought that would have been flattened completely with normal PSD.

At first I thought maybe a Y from LIBERTY(?) from a larger denomination US coin but the angular geometric design and lack of other letters ruled out that scenario.
    There is definitely some PSD going on but it may be impossible to say which came first, the secondary impression or the obvious PSD, or if they occurred simultaneously.

A curiosity to me with the mystery design element in relief.

Once again, thanks to all for any/all comments.

8. Thanks GrumpyEd, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    ......... the obv is smashed as if on cement not in a die when some mystery item with the letters (incuse if I see it right) was mashed over the rev which brought up the raised letters.

A wild guess, whatever it was probably wasn't a coin because most aren't incuse.
    As always with PSD, it's tough to say exactly what or why because the possibilities are limitless.
    The letters and geometric design on the coin are in relief (raised), so you are correct that the letters on the "item" would have been incuse.
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 04-30-2018 at 03:10 AM.

10. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Cliff, that is bizarre. Really good photos! ........ Can you give us a close up at IGWT?
    Thanks Viv & Jon. Wish I could get more consistency like this with the phone.

I will try to get some more images of IGWT later tonight. (no design elements in this area though that I can see)
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 04-30-2018 at 03:29 AM.

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool looking and nice pics Cliff!!

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like PSD to me also... The Y and design elements are similar to the Japanese Yen... The coin is also out of round at the edge where the damage is... That also leads me to PSD... Cool looking regardless!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping someone might recognize the design (foreign coin?), because the mint has produced coins for multiple countries
    What makes it harder is that since neither side of it was in a die when it was damaged there's no reason to think it was done at the mint. It could be from anything with that incuse pattern, a coin or something else. To figure it out you need to find a mystery item with that pattern.

17. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to all.
    I just don't come across much PSD that's raised and wanted some really experienced eyes on this one.

19. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post