Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1995p - with multiple feeder finger die gouge lines

Additional Information
    Date: 1995P

I found this 1995 p with feeder finger die scrapes in a stash my sister brought back from her Mom's home in New Hampshire.
    I don't recall seeing this many lines/scrapes on a memorial before.
    Thanks for looking. Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those scrapes do look like they came from feeder fingers to me too but they are closer together than ones I have seen. I have seen many FF scrapes all over the area below the Memorial (and extending to the inside portion of the Memorial) but they are more spaced out, maybe a couple are close together.

I have always wondered how the multiple FF scrapes occur in different spots on the coin and how the FF managed to scrape the die in those various locations when the die is fixed and the FF is fixed until it starts to break loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, I was trying to find the post where I think I asked onecent1909 John this question, I'm still looking.

But check out the feeder finger damage that Bob posted in this thread http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...=feeder+finger

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty neat looking and different from what I've seen. Are they only in that southeast quadrant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Cliff, I was trying to find the post where I think I asked onecent1909 John this question, I'm still looking.

But check out the feeder finger damage that Bob posted in this thread http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...=feeder+finger
    Thanks and thanks Viv.
    Those are some great threads.
    (And yes Bob, per your inquiry in the linked thread, you may certainly use any of my images you find helpful or I can send the coin to you)

And I noticed the ones on mine (+-40 degrees) are a slightly different angle, in comparison to the vertical axis, than the one's in Bob's
    thread (+-20 degrees).

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice FF scrapes... Apparently what happens. if memory serves me correctly, is a planchet doesn't feed and the timing is off causing the feeder fingers to be struck into the die as they are being retracted??? There have been several posted on the LCF with even more scrapes on them... Which I could find the threads!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Nice FF scrapes... Apparently what happens. if memory serves me correctly, is a planchet doesn't feed and the timing is off causing the feeder fingers to be struck into the die as they are being retracted??? There have been several posted on the LCF with even more scrapes on them... Which I could find the threads!!!
    The one Viv linked to has quite a few on that coin, above and below the memorial.
    (Don't know the year because only closeups of the FF lines were included.)

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    The one Viv linked to has quite a few on that coin, above and below the memorial.
    (Don't know the year because only closeups of the FF lines were included.)
    I looked at that one... It is nice!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim and Cliff, I could not find the thread where I thought I asked onecent1909 about why so many FF scrapes are seen. Maybe I just thought about asking him....

I guess since the die is fixed and the FF is not when it is starting to get loose and break away then it's possible the FF could gouge the die in different locations and at different times during production even after the FF breaks away and it's replacement starts getting loose??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Makes me wonder if dies could clash with the feeder fingers if the timing was off or the FF didn't get out of the way? That would certainly leave interesting marks on the dies.

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post