Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Makes me wonder if dies could clash with the feeder fingers if the timing was off or the FF didn't get out of the way? That would certainly leave interesting marks on the dies.
    Yeah, there must be a timing factor that keeps that from happening. It would surely make a mess of the dies! Although there could be an error coin somewhere that is struck through FF fragments if the FF is sticky with gunk and lands on the die about the time the planchet falls into place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes me wonder if dies could clash with the feeder fingers if the timing was off or the FF didn't get out of the way? That would certainly leave interesting marks on the dies.
    Since the feeder fingers are timed to activate between strikes it should be possible to have a clash and FF damage all in one... The FF damage is to the anvil die so we know that no planchet was in place at the time of occurrence... As heavy as the FF damage is on some of these I wonder why there isn't clashes showing??? Unless the die was polished to remove the clash or the thickness of the FFs is such that a clash could not occur???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Since the feeder fingers are timed to activate between strikes it should be possible to have a clash and FF damage all in one... The FF damage is to the anvil die so we know that no planchet was in place at the time of occurrence... As heavy as the FF damage is on some of these I wonder why there isn't clashes showing??? Unless the die was polished to remove the clash or the thickness of the FFs is such that a clash could not occur???
    Thanks Jim.
    I was thinking of generally speaking on another coin, if there is the possibility or actual examples of the Feeder Fingers getting caught between the dies or hammer die and planchet? If this did occur I wouldn't think there would be transfer of design elements of the two dies because the FF would prevent the dies from contacting each other.

I was trying to find the link (I'm even coming up short on the correct term) for Misaligned or MAD die clash(?) where the rim appears to be present but any transfer of devices (letters) are not visible.

Could these be the result of Feeder Fingers getting caught between the dies?

Or getting caught between the planchet and die, which would show up only on the obv./hammer die and that one coin as a flat spot with an arc similar in size to a coin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim.
    I was thinking of generally speaking on another coin, if there is the possibility or actual examples of the Feeder Fingers getting caught between the dies or hammer die and planchet? If this did occur I wouldn't think there would be transfer of design elements of the two dies because the FF would prevent the dies from contacting each other.

I was trying to find the link (I'm even coming up short on the correct term) for Misaligned or MAD die clash(?) where the rim appears to be present but any transfer of devices (letters) are not visible.

Could these be the result of Feeder Fingers getting caught between the dies?

Or getting caught between the planchet and die, which would show up only on the obv./hammer die and that one coin as a flat spot with an arc similar in size to a coin?

If the FFs were stuck between the planchet and die and struck it would be a struck through... A capped die strike will give the rims but little to no devices!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff sent me this coin for pics... Some fairly good feeder finger scrapes were on this die... There are even some up in the bays... The last pic is to show how lighting can hide or show what is on the coin!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

6. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool guys!! Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the fantastic images Jim.
    "Question on the direction of the lines on the die.
    Since the ones in each area (bays and around T) are going perpendicular to each other, ie. not the same direction, does that mean one set is polishing lines and one is feeder finger die gouges?"
    ..................... Never Mind ........................ My perspective needed adjustment.

And I just noticed in image #3 there is an incuse circular(?) area on the right side of the base of column 9 (to the left of the right planter) that is similar to the circles at the tops of the columns. Shouldn't be from a clash with the obverse because it is incuse and it doesn't appear to be PSD. Hmmmm... What is your take Jim?

Edit: Not sure why I was seeing the two sets of die scrapes in your images as perpendicular. They are both in the same NW to SE direction. Double Sheesh!!
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 06-15-2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Edit- I Must have been hallucinating again. (:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the fantastic images Jim.
    Question on the direction of the lines on the die.
    Since the ones in each area (bays and around T) are going perpendicular to each other, ie. not the same direction, does that mean one set is polishing lines and one is feeder finger die gouges?

And I just noticed in image #3 there is an incuse circular(?) area on the right side of the base of column 9 (to the left of the right planter) that is similar to the circles at the tops of the columns. Shouldn't be from a clash with the obverse because it is incuse and it doesn't appear to be PSD. Hmmmm... What is your take Jim?
    You are welcome... Yes there are some abrasions and die flow lines on the coin... Also that little area at C9B9 looks to be a minor clash remnant!!!

Added - I moved this thread to Error Attributions - Other (die damage)
    Last edited by jfines69; 06-15-2018 at 04:05 AM.
    Jim

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post