Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 60

Unanswered: 1983 S (proof) MM issue

This proof got left out in the cold and somewhat abused. The extra curve on the MM is curious. Likely MD but what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    I knew if you posted something it must be good! I'm a novice of course but that looks like no MD I've ever seen. The ridge to the west is raised and then the splits on the upper serif and the lower east part of the mm are very interesting. I say not MD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    No conclusion but my thoughts were:

It's in the plating or maybe it is an RPM. The primary looks thin in that area, that curve is separated from the primary. Maybe it was an RPM and in prepping the proof die it polished part of it away, making it separated and only leaving that thin curve and making the primary thin in that area??? You'd think others would be noticed if it is an RPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    To me it looks like a RPM!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    There is definitely some clear separation.
    But there is also the slightest indent on the edge of the primary MM that appears to line up with both ends of the secondary one.
    I hope it is an RPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. Looking at the image this AM I must confess that I have you all at a disadvantage in that I have the coin in hand. The picture of the MM does not fully show that there is a raised plane of slick metal between the MM and the raised/separated ridge of the would be RPM. I am unable to find VV's list and images of S mintmarks to determine if the MM on this coin is reduced in the questioned area. What caused me to post is as said; it is like no MD that I have seen before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Thanks George for the follow up.

Talk about localized MD!
    I should have been more clear in my reply because MD was what I was thinking also Because of the indented area on the NW corner of the MM closely matching the secondary raised area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Looking at the image this AM I must confess that I have you all at a disadvantage in that I have the coin in hand. The picture of the MM does not fully show that there is a raised plane of slick metal between the MM and the raised/separated ridge of the would be RPM. I am unable to find VV's list and images of S mintmarks to determine if the MM on this coin is reduced in the questioned area. What caused me to post is as said; it is like no MD that I have seen before.
    Roller, I've just been watching this thread to learn from it. I also tried to find information on the S MM punch used in 1983 and couldn't. Just this http://www.lincolncentresource.com/S...rk_Styles.html and it stops with MM-011, 1983 is MM-012.

Just found it http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20D...k%20Styles.htm

are you all taking about the thin curved anomaly on the field NW of the top S curve?
    Last edited by VAB2013; 05-07-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Roller, I've just been watching this thread to learn from it. I also tried to find information on the S MM punch used in 1983 and couldn't. Just this http://www.lincolncentresource.com/S...rk_Styles.html and it stops with MM-011, 1983 is MM-012.

Just found it http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20D...k%20Styles.htm
    Thanks for the link Viv. It used to be easy to find this on the VV site but recently it is impossible (at least for me).

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Thanks for the link Viv. It used to be easy to find this on the VV site but recently it is impossible (at least for me).
    You're welcome Roller! I searched yesterday too and couldn't find it. But... I'm off work today and had more time to search! YAY!!!