Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Hybrid View

Edith

hello everyone i am very new to collecting

I am very new to collecting and have a 1944 the observed side where the tail of the 9 in the date is somewhat knocked off, the first 4 in 1944 is funky and the part of the 9 that is missing looks like it landed between the u and the s in the word trust. i know that is impossible to happen but that is the best way i can describe the piece that is between the u and s. have i discovered the million dollar penny ? no for reals is this something of significance. Edith

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard Edith!! Lots of good, knowledgeable folks here to help with most any question out there. It sound like you coin has taken a hit at some point in the last 74 years. The piece you see that has moved is called misplaced metal and is fairly common. The 4 could have been damaged at the same time too. Check out the glossary for different words you will see posted on this site and take your time and learn to take pics and load them too. Pics really are worth a thousand words! Hope you enjoy the forum!!

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Edith.
    Images are Definitely needed to really help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Edith!

WS

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Edith for joining us on the LCF! You did a great job explaining what you are seeing on your 44' wheat cent! I agree with makecents "Jon" that is what it sounds like! Photos are necessary though to make a more accurate assessment, and one day you will run across something that words cannot explain. Trust me, happens to all of us

Sometimes cell phones take really good pics so you might want to try that until you are ready to look into scopes and cameras. There are some very inexpensive ones, like the Celestron I am using, and then they are some worth lots of Lincolns! Let us know if we can help you with any of this!

8. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF... Images would help a lot... It sounds like you have a damaged coin... What we call PSD (Post Strike Damage)... Here is the definition from our glossary

Post-strike Damage: This term is now preferred over Post Mint Damage. This is any damage that happens to a coin after the moment it is struck, including contact marks the coin may suffer before leaving the mint from falling into hoppers, or being bagged, etc. Of course, anything that happens to the coin during its life-span in circulation also falls into this category, such as purposeful or accidental hits, corrosion, unnatural toning, etc.

Hope that helps a little!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!