Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

2014p Trail die on Obverse

Additional Information
    Date: 2014
    Variety: Die Trails
    Mint: Philadelphia

I recently picked up some rolls of 2014 p online. There appears to be trails going south off of LIBER.
    There also appears to be some very light thickness on 20 of the date and Liberty. I'm not sure if the thickness is from die wear or minor Hub doubling.
    I'm pretty sure this is a EDS coin which makes me question the die wear scenario.
    Thanks for looking and let me know your thoughts. Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find... Yours looks close to 011 on Taildies http://www.traildies.com/2014p-1deo-011-to-020/ but I'm not 100% sure... I can not tell on the possible DD???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you know, I'm extremely new to the trail dies but I do see what you're seeing and the top of the 2 does look thick. I'll be curious to see what the powers that be say!

And there you go! The powers that be was typing quicker than me!

6. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice trails Cliff! I was just going to post the link to Jim's 2014-011 TD, it does look similar. Not sure about the extra thickness on the 20 and Liberty, have you compared it to the listings?
    Last edited by VAB2013; 05-14-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. It does look to be Jim's Discovery TD-011. There is a N-S light die gouge between the TY of LIBERTY. Jim's didn't have any reverse markers so mine might be a later die stage.

Mine (I found 6 in the roll) does have a reverse marker. There is a symmetrical thin recessed crack on the edge of the shield over UR of PLURIBUS. The marker resembles the bottom of the frontal profile of a Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless dive bomber.
    How cool is that!! (Scroll to the bottom of the link below for profile drawings of same bomber)
    Link to Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless Dive bomber ..

Jon and Viv, Thanks for the input and I think there is thickness but it must be die deterioration if it wasn't on Jim's. ( & I'm sure this is the same as his 011.)
    I did check Wexlers but there was no mention or images of any Trails on any of his listings. Cliff

9. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome Cliff! Glad you were able to match it up with Jim's discovery TD! Nice job spotting those trails, they like to hide

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool... Somebody must have raided their change jar to have 6 show up in a roll... Excellent description on the rev crack I like it
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Cool... Somebody must have raided their change jar to have 6 show up in a roll... Excellent description on the rev crack I like it
    These were in an OBW roll from Loomis. 8 more rolls waiting to be searched (at the speed of snail).
    Initially I thought the marker was PSD because it looked incuse. It is on the curved surface of the shield edge, very thin and it is a crack. It is on all of the samples.

Curious if yours has the reverse marker Jim?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    These were in an OBW roll from Loomis. 8 more rolls waiting to be searched (at the speed of snail).
    Initially I thought the marker was PSD because it looked incuse. It is on the curved surface of the shield edge, very thin and it is a crack. It is on all of the samples.

Curious if yours has the reverse marker Jim?
    I would have to look at it again... I don't remember the marker but then I don't remember what happened 5 seconds ago I will pull it out of my meticulously maintained filing system
    Jim

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post