Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    This could be cracked copper plating or it may reflect an imperfection in the zinc core. I lean toward the former. Sometimes you get cracking and peeling of a composite copper-and-zinc layer.

2. Thanks jfines69, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man that was quick!
    Thanks for taking a look Mike and offering your expertise.
    Do you have any links of coins with imperfections in the zinc core that you could share?
    Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks Viv. I was wondering the same thing about damage being evident.

Thanks again for the additional images Jim. That crease on the edge is similar to some improperly mixed copper laminations I've seen.
    I guess the raised area on the rim could have been a blister but it also could be loosely packed material (zinc?) that has worked loose like some copper laminations.
    Out of curiosity, I think I'll take your suggestion and PM Mike.

I am glad you mentioned the other pics... I totally forgot about them
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike Diamond for chiming in... We appreciate it... Always good to have the pros point us in the correct direction!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, sorry I'm late getting back to your thread, and it's great that Mike has chimed in! I thought about this the other day when I saw a cashier crack open a roll of Lincoln's on the edge of the cash drawer. It made me think about your coin and how a hard hit on the edge could cause something that looks like this. Just a thought

7. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Cliff, sorry I'm late getting back to your thread, and it's great that Mike has chimed in! I thought about this the other day when I saw a cashier crack open a roll of Lincoln's on the edge of the cash drawer. It made me think about your coin and how a hard hit on the edge could cause something that looks like this. Just a thought
    That is a good thought... I never considered that!!!
    Jim

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thanks Viv and Jim. They do take out some frustrations with that "technique"!
    But I would think that if it did anything, that type of TLC would tend to put a coin out of round so to speak because the counter edge would be parallel to the edge of the coin.

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks Viv and Jim. They do take out some frustrations with that "technique"!
    But I would think that if it did anything, that type of TLC would tend to put a coin out of round so to speak because the counter edge would be parallel to the edge of the coin.
    Not necessarily... If the roll was hit close to center onto the counter edge the pressure opposite of the contact point would be less allowing the pressure from the hit to dissipate more evenly through out the coin and rest of the roll... Hope that makes sense???
    Jim

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Not necessarily... If the roll was hit close to center onto the counter edge the pressure opposite of the contact point would be less allowing the pressure from the hit to dissipate more evenly through out the coin and rest of the roll... Hope that makes sense???
    That's kind of what I was thinking too Jim and Cliff. I was thinking mostly about the indentation and how that "could" get there if it was something like that and not an imperfection in the zinc core.