Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1956-D VEDS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    I suppose it should also be on 56-P coins as well, but I have not really gone through many 56-P rolls. I'm mostly an RPM guy, so don't buy P-Mint rolls except for the mid-40's.
    Thank you Ray! I will be on the lookout for this anomaly on 56P's and 56D's and will compare anything I find that might be a possible match to your photos! Looking forward to what you and the other's who are studying this find out!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a quick look on VV for the DDOs for both the 56D http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...O%201956-D.htm and 56P http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...DDO%201956.htm and the 56D RPMs http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20R...Ms%201956D.htm and the 6 shows on a number of the listed coins, including proofs, in varying degrees... Related to a working hub maybe???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

3. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly, after looking through about 20 of the 60+ rolls I plan to search, I have not found a single example of a fully-struck 56-D that does not show this phenomenon. All the well-struck coins have it. It's also interesting that the strongest-struck "weak strike" coins are all about the same in bring-up of the "6" metal. I see the same thing in the pictured coins on VV.

Can anyone find an example pic of a fully-struck 56-P or 56-D that does not show this phenomenon? Or can you produce a fully-struck example coin? I'm wondering now if this is a master hub problem. It could be that:

The master hub sustained damage that went un-noticed when it was made
    At least one master die was used to make several working hubs that show the damage
    Someone noticed the damage, and the master hub was modified to lower the relief on the 6
    New master die(s) and working hubs have lower relief on the 6, even if fully-struck
    There may be no coins from 1956 that show a full-strike 6 without damage

If anyone can produce a coin that is fully-struck, and has a full-relief 6 without damage, then this will disprove my hypothesis.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly, after looking through about 20 of the 60+ rolls I plan to search, I have not found a single example of a fully-struck 56-D that does not show this phenomenon. All the well-struck coins have it. It's also interesting that the strongest-struck "weak strike" coins are all about the same in bring-up of the "6" metal. I see the same thing in the pictured coins on VV.

Can anyone find an example pic of a fully-struck 56-P or 56-D that does not show this phenomenon? Or can you produce a fully-struck example coin? I'm wondering now if this is a master hub problem. It could be that:

The master hub sustained damage that went un-noticed when it was made
    At least one master die was used to make several working hubs that show the damage
    Someone noticed the damage, and the master hub was modified to lower the relief on the 6
    New master die(s) and working hubs have lower relief on the 6, even if fully-struck
    There may be no coins from 1956 that show a full-strike 6 without damage

If anyone can produce a coin that is fully-struck, and has a full-relief 6 without damage, then this will disprove my hypothesis.
    That is interesting... The master hub makes the working hub correct??? The working hub is a positive in other words it looks like the coin and the working die is a negative... In order for the anomaly to show up incuse on the coin it would need to be incuse on the working hub or the master die??? The master hub would be incuse like the working die??? Unless I have things backwards again
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked Bob's Master Die Doubling list and 56's are not on there.

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...bob%27s+master

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    That is interesting... The master hub makes the working hub correct??? The working hub is a positive in other words it looks like the coin and the working die is a negative... In order for the anomaly to show up incuse on the coin it would need to be incuse on the working hub or the master die??? The master hub would be incuse like the working die??? Unless I have things backwards again
    So the process is:

Galvano with date is reduced on Janvier lathe to a Master Hub. The letters are raised. If the Galvano had a problem on the 6, this would exist on the Master Hub. Or maybe there was a problem during the reduction process

Master Hub is used to make several Master Dies. Letters are incuse.

Master Dies are used to make a bunch of Working Hubs. Letters are raised. Any damage to a Working Hub would show up on only some % of the final coins.

Working Hubs are used to make all the Working Dies needed for production. Letters are incuse again.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the process is:

Galvano with date is reduced on Janvier lathe to a Master Hub. The letters are raised. If the Galvano had a problem on the 6, this would exist on the Master Hub. Or maybe there was a problem during the reduction process

Master Hub is used to make several Master Dies. Letters are incuse.

Master Dies are used to make a bunch of Working Hubs. Letters are raised. Any damage to a Working Hub would show up on only some % of the final coins.

Working Hubs are used to make all the Working Dies needed for production. Letters are incuse again.
    Thanks Ray... I always get the master hub/master die backwards... Hopefully I remember the order this time!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished looking through the 67 BU rolls of 56-D. It was a lot of work! I can now come to the conclusion that there are few if any fully-struck 56-D Cents without the damage on the 6. I did not find a single coin out of >3000 searched. I pulled out a representative group of dies with varying strike quality and evidence of the damage, and will be imaging some of these to share. Should be interesting once I get them documented and can make better comparisons.

In that group of 67 rolls, I also found:

1 RPM #1
    7 OMM #1
    10 RPD
    ~25 mixed RPMs needing attribution
    ~20 VEDS coins from several dies
    ~5 nice toners
    1 full toned roll

Will be a fun study...Ray

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool... Thanks for the update... Looking forward to your photos!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Ray! Your study of the 56D, anomaly on the 6, turned up some very nice varieties and toners in the process! And they are all BU!!! Can't wait for photos!