Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is this area so common for Die Dents?

Additional Information
    Date: 1995

I was just curious as to why this is an extremely common area to find Die Dents? Is there something in the process of making the die that makes this particular spot more susceptible?

Thanks for looking, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by makecents; 05-19-2018 at 07:56 AM.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks pretty severe Jon.
    Since it is the edge of the die I'm thinking it is an abrasion from polishing or "grinder" that has removed the edge of the die.
    (I suppose it could have been dropped on this edge while trying to insert it into the machine but I would think the displaced metal would show up else where unless that metal was removed.)
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 05-19-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add a thought

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    That looks pretty severe Jon.
    Since it is the edge of the die I'm thinking it is an abrasion from polishing or "grinder" that has removed the edge of the die.
    (I suppose it could have been dropped on this edge while trying to insert it into the machine but I would think the displaced metal would show up else where unless that metal was removed.)
    I know they appear in different areas but this is a very common spot for Die Dents. I would think there is a reason for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really a large anomaly Jon. I'm not 100% sure it's a die dent though. One reason is the curved edges. I've seen something similar and Jason and I discussed it could be caused from extreme die abrasion that makes a bubbled up look on the coin. Let's see what the pros say!

7. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen similar anomalies on some coins also... I wonder if it could be related in some aspect to cuds??? Take a look thru the 90s cuds http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-cuds-1990-1999/ Granted yours doesn't look to be a cud but could it be related???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!! I guess that's what Cliff was referring to. I didn't think about it being something other than a die dent. Jim, I looked around on Cuds on Coins and did not see anything similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought seemed silly to me so I wasn't going to say it but it was sort of what Jim said. (maybe we're both silly haha)

I was thinking it might be a sliver that cracks off like a cud but it's shallow.
    The polishing and dropping on the edge are also possible but the sliver also might be.

12. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    My thought seemed silly to me so I wasn't going to say it but it was sort of what Jim said. (maybe we're both silly haha)

I was thinking it might be a sliver that cracks off like a cud but it's shallow.
    The polishing and dropping on the edge are also possible but the sliver also might be.
    Nothing wrong with being silly With the polishing lines I can see and the small ridge along the entire edge on Jons coin is why I thought cud related... First coin on the list on COC is 1990-02 which is larger, deeper in the die, flat across the top and farther into the rim is similar in a appearance!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks GrumpyEd, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed and Jim!! I noticed the ring around the edge of the coin and thought that may have something to do with it but was clueless, imagine that. I'll PM JC and see if he'll take a look and get his take on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks Ed and Jim!! I noticed the ring around the edge of the coin and thought that may have something to do with it but was clueless, imagine that. I'll PM JC and see if he'll take a look and get his take on it.
    You are always welcome Jon... I do not think it is a cud just similar to a cud... Will be interesting to hear JCs take on it... By the way - I am just as clueless
    Jim

17. Thanks makecents thanked for this post