Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Milk spots

Post Thanks / Like

Unanswered: Milk spots

Is there a safe, effective way to remove milk spots from these new pennies?

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    The only thing I can think of is to give the coins an acetone bath... Other than that maybe verdi care would work.. Those spots are annoying as all get up!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Those spots are rinse spots from a final rinse at the mint, as far as I know there's nothing that will remove them. I've tried acetone with no luck, not sure about Verdi Care though. Yeah, they are annoying like Jim said but Shield cents are notorious for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    I wonder if it's the liquid itself or some type of contaminant that builds up over time in the solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Nothing is a perfect cure. Even if they don't have white ones to start with, dark ones may grow later.

PCGS once graded a 1963 PF70 DCAM cent, later it grew a spot and they bought it back for over 40K.
    Same with the only MS65 1969 DDO, it turned ugly in the holder and they bought it back for 80K.
    So that tells you, if they could just fix the spots or ugly stuff they would not buy back the coins. Not sure if the MS70 2003 spotted or not.

Link on bought back stuff

That's one reason it took 20 years before they found one modern cent that PCGS would grade MS70....
    That coin, a 2003-P sold at auction for $13,500.

Link when found: First bus strike MS70

7. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Thanks for the links Ed.
    On the "bought back" link (as of Dec. 1, 2009), <.04%
    ($7,320,437 / $19,138,747,536 = .0003824) of the total spent by customers to encapsulate coins was paid out by PCGS. .
    Definitely a lot of hard ka-ching and not discounts off services. Wonder what the current $ #'s are?

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks for the links Ed.
    On the "bought back" link (as of Dec. 1, 2009), <.04%
    ($7,320,437 / $19,138,747,536 = .0003824) of the total spent by customers to encapsulate coins was paid out by PCGS. .
    Definitely a lot of hard ka-ching and not discounts off services. Wonder what the current $ #'s are?
    So we know the warranty isn't costing much based on the total.
    Also, I think after the 69-S DDO that turned ugly they changed the warranty for copper coins so that copper environmental damage is not covered and changing from RED to RB is not covered. They also had a huge problem with silver SAE coins growing milk spots and took away the warranty covering spots that grow on silver after grading:

Silver warranty gone LINK

And they were offering $50,000 to anyone that had a cure for silver milk spots LINK

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    If all fails the milk spots don't come off get some oreos Those are cool links Ed thanks... I would bet verdi care would work to prevent growth of spots... It is a thin layer that prevents any oxygen from reaching the surface of the coin... No oxygen should prevent any thing from developing??? Maybe a new design for slabs that would prevent any infiltration of oxygen or moisture... A double seal and inert gas???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post