Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: 1963D LAM

  1. #21
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    561
    Thank you Jim for doing this overlay and explaining this to me! I would have never thought about the possibility of this happening, especially with such a large piece of the metal! One thing I am not getting is, to me the piece looks to be under the date which would make me think it happened pre-strike. So if this is what happened, that piece of metal did a back flip and stuck itself... that's pretty cool!

  2. #22
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1367
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Jim for doing this overlay and explaining this to me! I would have never thought about the possibility of this happening, especially with such a large piece of the metal! One thing I am not getting is, to me the piece looks to be under the date which would make me think it happened pre-strike. So if this is what happened, that piece of metal did a back flip and stuck itself... that's pretty cool!
    I thought at first it was a pre strike issue but when I zoomed in I can see a faint line that is over the numbers and in-line with the other visible edges... There is also damage across the 19 in the same area... Could be the piece came out and maybe a rolling machine pressed it into the coin??? No real way to tell why it stuck but it did... With how deep the canyon is and that the last A of AMERICA does not appear distorted in any way I would think a post strike dislodging of the chunk... Hope I didn't beat this to death to much
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  3. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  4. #23
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I thought at first it was a pre strike issue but when I zoomed in I can see a faint line that is over the numbers and in-line with the other visible edges... There is also damage across the 19 in the same area... Could be the piece came out and maybe a rolling machine pressed it into the coin??? No real way to tell why it stuck but it did... With how deep the canyon is and that the last A of AMERICA does not appear distorted in any way I would think a post strike dislodging of the chunk... Hope I didn't beat this to death to much
    Not at all Jim, I really appreciate your help! Okay, now I can see how this happened! So, it's still considered a lam?

  5. #24
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1367
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Not at all Jim, I really appreciate your help! Okay, now I can see how this happened! So, it's still considered a lam?
    Still a lam... Glad I could help... I appreciate you letting me do the overlay!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  7. #25
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Still a lam... Glad I could help... I appreciate you letting me do the overlay!!!
    Okay cool thank you Jim! Thank you for doing the overlay and taking the time to explain this... you're awesome!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •