Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by MJBTGLIS View Post
    Oh...I know. I just wasn't sure if proof coins lost their luster the same way as the business strike coins. But I must say, this coin stuff is pretty confusing so far. e.g. All the coin roll hunting videos I have watched, all they say is "Wheat..wheat...wheat..gotta have wheat!" But then I learn there are only a few wheat that are actually worth anything, unless it's in mint state. Then all I hear is "Proof...proof..proof..gotta have proof!" Then I am told proof coins really are not worth much at all. So which one is it PEOPLE!?!? Haha JK I am pretty quick learner though..so I am sure I will get the hang of it soon.
    I know the feeling... Just take your time... Every one learns at a different rate... Some pick it up quick while others (a.k.a. Me ) learn at the speed of snail... There is a lot of info out and it will take a bit to absorb it... We have a Glossary here to help (link on tab at top of page) and there are numerous other sites available... Here are a couple -

http://www.error-ref.com/

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/

https://conecaonline.org/

That should get you warmed up a bit
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

2. Thanks VAB2013, MJBTGLIS thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, MJBTGLIS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am also an amateur collector. Recently I searched through a box of pennies (cents) I bought from my credit union. I found a few 1962, 1963 and 1964 cents that were very 'proof-like' in appearance. I have a collection of Proof cents from 1950 onward and I use these as reference. Perhaps that is what you are seeing in your coin? I ask the community at large what is their experience in these specific dates as far as 'are there a lot of Proof coins in circulation' ???

Post Thanks / Like
    As an amateur collector, I have 7 sets of Lincoln cents. I look through boxes of coins always looking to upgrade all the sets I maintain. I have plenty of time since I retired 10 years ago and this activity gives me something to do. Every so often I make some incredible finds!, but "you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince" !!
    To me, that is what keeps me collecting. I also do nickels, dimes and quarters on a much smaller scale. It really isn't about the value, although I feel that I do have some very nice coins in my folders from my efforts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
    As an amateur collector, I have 7 sets of Lincoln cents. I look through boxes of coins always looking to upgrade all the sets I maintain. I have plenty of time since I retired 10 years ago and this activity gives me something to do. Every so often I make some incredible finds!, but "you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince" !!
    To me, that is what keeps me collecting. I also do nickels, dimes and quarters on a much smaller scale. It really isn't about the value, although I feel that I do have some very nice coins in my folders from my efforts.
    Seven sets?! What kind of sets?

Searching coins will definitely keep you busy. Do you have pictures of some of your finds?