Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

1992 p planchet error

Additional Information
    Date: 1992P

I found this Lincoln cent with a curving Arc on the reverse that starts out at the first column and continues under STA of STATES.
    I know the first inclination is to say PSD but the fairly deep and incuse Arc barely is visible on top of the devices. I'm finding it difficult to explain but where it is visible it is distorted and smooth from being struck by the dies.
    I believe the arc (from the rim of another planchette?) was on the planchette before entering the Coining chamber and being struck by the dies.
    I just hope my images are clear enough the show what I'm seeing in hand.
    Thanks for looking. Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents, tokameel thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure looks like that to me. Let's see what the experts say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredcopper View Post
    Sure looks like that to me. Let's see what the experts say.
    Thanks RC. I'm with you, let's see they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool... It may be a struck thru... Something like a wire... There is damage over the rim at the T of STATES... Due to the circ wear it is a little difficult to tell 100%... You also have either a die chip or piece of extraneous material on the NW corner of the E... It does not appear to be a counter clash Type 1 - http://www.maddieclashes.com/type-i-counterclash/ or Type 2 - http://www.maddieclashes.com/type-ii-counter-clash/
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Cool... It may be a struck thru... Something like a wire... There is damage over the rim at the T of STATES... Due to the circ wear it is a little difficult to tell 100%... You also have either a die chip or piece of extraneous material on the NW corner of the E... It does not appear to be a counter clash Type 1 - http://www.maddieclashes.com/type-i-counterclash/ or Type 2 - http://www.maddieclashes.com/type-ii-counter-clash/
    Thanks Jim, but definitely not struck through as it is NOT as deep where it intersects the letters. And where it does intersect the letters there is a light, non-straight line where the metal has been moved from the strike (metal of the letters).
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 06-01-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Need to see a close up of the obverse opposite the anomaly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Need to see a close up of the obverse opposite the anomaly.
    Thanks George.
    I'll have to dig it out to get that close up since I first tried to post this about three weeks ago.
    (I forgot to include the Error title twice so it kept going into "Auto saved" without the images. I didn't realize what I was doing incorrectly.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting find Cliff! I think a planchet with an existing anomaly like this would cause the devices to be weakly struck like the ST of States. But, at the Memorial that doesn't look the same, the anomaly looks deeper into the devices. What a brain twister!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the obv there appears to be no indication of damage or weakness... Also if the line were on the planchet prior to strike the letters should have still formed properly??? Not 100% sure tho... I looked again but I am still leaning toward struck through with circ wear!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, if you can, take your pic of the reverse or take another picture, crop it as perfectly as you can, then go to "paint" and resize to 80 pixels and post the pic.