Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

When did the Single Squeeze begin???

I have always thought the single squeeze for the ONE CENT began in 1998... I think I am wrong... According to an article by Ken Potter for CONECA https://conecaonline.org/so-just-whe...hubbing-begin/ the pilot program began in 1986 for the working dies and was already in use for the master dies and working hubs... So did we see our first single squeezed Lincolns on the 1986 or 1987 coins???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally don't think the single squeeze method had been deployed on business coins until after 1997. My rationale is the very numerous class 6 doubled dies for 1989. I don't see how a single squeeze could account for that anomaly. In addition, there are doubled dies that show notches on the R of TRUST and separation lines on the date for that year as well. You also can't say that the big 1995 and 1995D doubled dies were made with a single squeeze. The 1996P DDOs and 1997 doubled ear also appear to be the result of multiple hubbings.
    The point with Kens article is that business strike coin single squeeze was being developed. When it actually became common place is the question.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

4. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you are correct Bob... Those doubled dies, especially with the large separations, should not have been possible with the single squeeze hubbing... I think the article needs a follow up with some verifiable data... I see a FOIA request in my near future With the 1986 info stating a pilot program I wonder if there were issues creating working dies especially since the master dies and working hubs were already being created using the single squeeze method???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if there were issues creating working dies
    That would be my guess Jim.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    That would be my guess Jim.
    Thanks Bob... I do appreciate your input!!!
    Jim