Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Slabbed coins

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbed coins

A few questions and a comment on slabbed coins.

Recently purchased this 1909 online and, while investigating on the NGC website, found that the grading for coins containing copper are only good for 10 years and must be 're-authenticated' or they lose their grade -- I am guessing this is the same policy for all the graders. This coin was graded in 1992 and certification expired in 2002.

1. The sticker showing in the pic does not state that it is NGC as newer holders do. Does the case and label look legit [circa 1992]? There is a holographic sticker on the back that states NGC but, there is another sticker over that [from the vendor] that peels away the NGC sticker if removed [I know because I tried].

2. If I were to get it re-certified, would I send in the case or have t removed by a professional coin dealer?

3. Is this considered 'a given' and used as a bargaining chip when purchasing?

I had some more questions but, cannot remember at this time.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions,

P.S. The forum software automatically rotates the pic so you will need to stand your monitor on end.

edit: and I do realize that you are buying the coin not the grade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TPring; 06-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post