Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Slabbed coins

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbed coins

A few questions and a comment on slabbed coins.

Recently purchased this 1909 online and, while investigating on the NGC website, found that the grading for coins containing copper are only good for 10 years and must be 're-authenticated' or they lose their grade -- I am guessing this is the same policy for all the graders. This coin was graded in 1992 and certification expired in 2002.

1. The sticker showing in the pic does not state that it is NGC as newer holders do. Does the case and label look legit [circa 1992]? There is a holographic sticker on the back that states NGC but, there is another sticker over that [from the vendor] that peels away the NGC sticker if removed [I know because I tried].

2. If I were to get it re-certified, would I send in the case or have t removed by a professional coin dealer?

3. Is this considered 'a given' and used as a bargaining chip when purchasing?

I had some more questions but, cannot remember at this time.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions,

P.S. The forum software automatically rotates the pic so you will need to stand your monitor on end.

edit: and I do realize that you are buying the coin not the grade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TPring; 06-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    A few questions and a comment on slabbed coins.

Recently purchased this 1909 online and, while investigating on the NGC website, found that the grading for coins containing copper are only good for 10 years and must be 're-authenticated' or they lose their grade -- I am guessing this is the same policy for all the graders. This coin was graded in 1992 and certification expired in 2002.

1. The sticker showing in the pic does not state that it is NGC as newer holders do. Does the case and label look legit [circa 1992]? There is a holographic sticker on the back that states NGC but, there is another sticker over that [from the vendor] that peels away the NGC sticker if removed [I know because I tried].

2. If I were to get it re-certified, would I send in the case or have t removed by a professional coin dealer?

3. Is this considered 'a given' and used as a bargaining chip when purchasing?

I had some more questions but, cannot remember at this time.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions,

P.S. The forum software automatically rotates the pic so you will need to stand your monitor on end.
    I think NGC may be on the reverse!
    Can you post an image of the reverse?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    I can do that later today I do not have the coin in hand now. There is a holographic sticker on the back it says NGC however it is covered over buy another sticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info T.
    They would grade it either way but I would leave it in the slab so the numerical grade doesn't decline. I think it would be the Red, Red/Brown designation that might change after 10 years with copper coins.

6. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget what NGC says about re-authenticating every 10 years. It's all part of a scam that has to do with copper coins changing color over the years. Basically it's their way of having a "get out of paying for a brown coin that started red due to poor storage". You buy a certified copper coin, your standard should be "I understand that at the time this coin was certified, the color designation was correct, I need to look at the coin color now to determine if that still is correct because NGC ain't paying me if it turned". I guess in regards to your question 3, all copper purchases should be considered a given that you are on your own. The certifying company just isn't liable for their grading.

Personally, I would never send in old holders unless they are severely damaged and you have no choice. The grade stated on the holder is worth different amounts to the average collector based on generation of holder. Old "soap bar" holders like yours are worth more than new holders. Either way it is a $70-80 coin max regardless right now, and only bad things can happen if you send it to NGC, aside from the fact it would also cost you money and you have no guarantee to receive the same grade.

Dan

8. Thanks VAB2013, TPring thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would never have it re-graded.

For a lot of people, the older holder might be worth more, the older grade MIGHT be a tighter grade, being in a slab over 10 years means the coin should be more stable.

10. Thanks VAB2013, TPring thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pick... What the others said!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centMD View Post
    Forget what NGC says about re-authenticating every 10 years. It's all part of a scam that has to do with copper coins changing color over the years. Basically it's their way of having a "get out of paying for a brown coin that started red due to poor storage". You buy a certified copper coin, your standard should be "I understand that at the time this coin was certified, the color designation was correct, I need to look at the coin color now to determine if that still is correct because NGC ain't paying me if it turned". I guess in regards to your question 3, all copper purchases should be considered a given that you are on your own. The certifying company just isn't liable for their grading.

Personally, I would never send in old holders unless they are severely damaged and you have no choice. The grade stated on the holder is worth different amounts to the average collector based on generation of holder. Old "soap bar" holders like yours are worth more than new holders. Either way it is a $70-80 coin max regardless right now, and only bad things can happen if you send it to NGC, aside from the fact it would also cost you money and you have no guarantee to receive the same grade.

Dan

I'm pickin' up what you're laying down.

Though I do understand that they can get carbon spots.
    Last edited by TPring; 06-01-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    I removed the vendor sticker and that removed the NGC holographic sticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    I removed the vendor sticker and that removed the NGC holographic sticker.

Even that is not a big deal.

I'd prefer if the stickers/holograms are perfect but it's ok if they are not.
    Many slabs have them messed up, the reason is that many dealers and the auction houses stick their own label or barcode sticker right in that spot, if people let it stay too long or pull it off it messes up the holograms but it is so common that I sort of expect it. Not just NCG but other slabs had that issue.

I think your NGC slab is the older simple white style after the white fat "fatty" style, it might be slight premium to the newer ones.

Speaking of older slabs.... some get nice premiums.

small anacs and fat NGC and green PCGS get some premium.

black NGC and rattler PCGS get huge premiums.

doily style PCGS get monster premiums.

15. Thanks VAB2013, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, jfines69 liked this post