Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DEESAW View Post
    Sorry but that is not the picture I sent in the URL your showing ... My picture is of a 2009 formative years, reverse, the area is on the log under Abe. The holder, from a bundle of error coins I purchased in 2010 auction for ASPCA (I wasn't a coin collector & I"m now trying to learn), says "over-abraded error coin", but I don't know what that means & if it's actually an error. Thanks for your help
    Those pics are just samples of blistered plating...
    I can not tell if there is abrasions showing on your coin but I do see what appears to be linear plating blisters (bubbles)... Here is some info on die abrasions from the Glossary -

Abraded Die: A die that has had metal removed from it by some abrasive means in an attempt by the mint to remove damage from the die. This damage is most commonly from a die clash. A cent struck from an abraded die will show raised lines corresponding to the scratches made in the die by the abrasion. Over-abrading the die can result in a loss of detail on the die, which will result in weak or missing devices on the coin. (Perhaps the most well-known example of over-abrading is the 1937D “3-legged” buffalo nickel.) In the case of Lincoln memorial cents, a common result of over-abrasion is a cent with missing designer’s initials, known as “no FG” cents.

Error Ref. also gives explanations of all kinds of errors - http://www.error-ref.com/part_iv__die_errors/ Wether plating blisters or die abrasions they are errors... Blisters are planchet related and die abrasions are die related... Hope that helps a little!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

2. Likes makecents liked this post
    DEESAW
    It is amazing how the blistered plating could be so even under Abe. Probably whether it is blistered plating or abraded it's not worth anything more than face value... sorry I didn't understand earlier... I'm new to collecting & being new here. Thanks!

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is amazing how the blistered plating could be so even under Abe. Probably whether it is blistered plating or abraded it's not worth anything more than face value... sorry I didn't understand earlier... I'm new to collecting & being new here. Thanks!
    This is a pretty common thing. Here is one I just found that I figured I would show you. It's a 2001P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need to be sorry... All of us started out as newbies... In mid 1982 the mint switched from a solid CENT planchet to a copper plated zinc core planchet... Even after 25 years there is still a problem with contamination on the cores... The first few years were really bad but they have improved some what!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    DEESAW

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Those pics are just samples of blistered plating...
    I can not tell if there is abrasions showing on your coin but I do see what appears to be linear plating blisters (bubbles)... Here is some info on die abrasions from the Glossary -

Abraded Die: A die that has had metal removed from it by some abrasive means in an attempt by the mint to remove damage from the die. This damage is most commonly from a die clash. A cent struck from an abraded die will show raised lines corresponding to the scratches made in the die by the abrasion. Over-abrading the die can result in a loss of detail on the die, which will result in weak or missing devices on the coin. (Perhaps the most well-known example of over-abrading is the 1937D “3-legged” buffalo nickel.) In the case of Lincoln memorial cents, a common result of over-abrasion is a cent with missing designer’s initials, known as “no FG” cents.

Error Ref. also gives explanations of all kinds of errors - http://www.error-ref.com/part_iv__die_errors/ Wether plating blisters or die abrasions they are errors... Blisters are planchet related and die abrasions are die related... Hope that helps a little!!!
    Sorry for the delay. I've been away for a few days & trying to get caught up on things. I appreciate your photos & information very much. I noticed it said that it is considered an error. That was what I was trying to find out! The funny thing is I found info on my 2009 Lincoln cent, Wexler WDDR-043, beautiful coin but unable to find any listing for this coin. Will keep searching. Thanks again.. it's very appreciated!

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the delay. I've been away for a few days & trying to get caught up on things. I appreciate your photos & information very much. I noticed it said that it is considered an error. That was what I was trying to find out! The funny thing is I found info on my 2009 Lincoln cent, Wexler WDDR-043, beautiful coin but unable to find any listing for this coin. Will keep searching. Thanks again.. it's very appreciated!
    Nice to see you back Deesaw! What I'm seeing on your attached coin in Post #1 does look like either plating blisters or it could be plating disturbance as it is also visible above Lincoln as well. I do not see the doubled thumb in your first photo though... you mentioned the Wexler WDDR-043. Is there a photo somewhere else I have missed?

12. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    DEESAW

Thanks ... and also here is the photo of my Lincoln WDDR-043

Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Nice to see you back Deesaw! What I'm seeing on your attached coin in Post #1 does look like either plating blisters or it could be plating disturbance as it is also visible above Lincoln as well. I do not see the doubled thumb in your first photo though... you mentioned the Wexler WDDR-043. Is there a photo somewhere else I have missed?
    Thank you very much for your reply & the information. What I am wondering is can I call this an error coin? I couldn't find any info on it online, but maybe I was putting in the wrong search. I am sending a photo of the WDDR-043. I didn't send it before because I knew what it was. I got this at an charity auction in 2010. The name attached to it was the seller so I would remember. I purchased from other sellers also. Have one that is labeled "Catfish", but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is nice!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Deesaw for the update and photo of your WDDR-043! That is a very nice auction find! Sure... we would love to see the coin labeled "catfish"!