Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about humidity

Is there an optimal/acceptable range for humidity [in relation to coins]? I am assuming less is better.

I keep my better coins in a safe and in that safe is an electronic hygrometer [to measure the air moisture] and, upon opening the safe, it usually reads in the mid-to-upper 50's [55-58].

I have three different methods of trying to reduce the moisture: an electric element (that came with the safe), moisture-absorbing beads and, a bowl of rice. However, I have noticed on a few occasions where the sensor reading actually dropped a couple of points after opening the safe.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,
    Last edited by TPring; 06-21-2018 at 09:24 AM.

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the 55-58 reading is fine for your coin storage. You are correct in that lower is better but the condensation can get to be an issue in the 60-70% range. Something as simple as the rice and/or desiccant will not hurt anything either. When the reading drops a few points upon opening the safe, it is just showing that the humidity level in your room was lower at the time you opened the safe. The humidity just equalizes... that's all.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

4. Thanks VAB2013, TPring thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The desiccant beads should be sufficient... Even tho rice is suppose to be dry my experience is that rice retains some moisture normally below 5%!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the replies -- That's a measure of comfort.

Now, the fact that the humidity actually drops after opening the door has me baffled. With the three methods at work in the safe, I should think that it should be lower inside and the humidity reading should actually rise after opening the door.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only way to measure that is to measure the humidity both in and out of the safe independently. Without knowing the humidity in the room, we can only assume which one is higher or lower.
    Bob Piazza

9. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any time you open the safe out side air enters... That air is still there when you close it up... Keeping the dehydrators fresh should also help... Also very few safes are completely air/water tight those type of safes are normally special made...Hope that helps a little!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    The only way to measure that is to measure the humidity both in and out of the safe independently.

There in lies the conundrum, the humidity reading is about 55 in the area where the safe is kept but, inside the safe the reading is even higher [even with three preventative measures].

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    There in lies the conundrum, the humidity reading is about 55 in the area where the safe is kept but, inside the safe the reading is even higher [even with three preventative measures].
    Have you tried removing the rice???
    Jim

14. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without ever having gone to meteorology school, I would say that relatively stagnant air in the safe would tend to hold more moisture than the room where the air can circulate. I think in this case, the percentage is so minimal that it really isn't an issue.
    Bob Piazza

16. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This topic can get confusing if there isn't any distinction between humidity and relative humidity.
    Most instruments measure relative humidity.

One example that is most explanatory to me, is that if you open a quart jar in Las Vegas when the temperature is 114 deg and the relative humidity is 5%, and then put a lid on it tightly, and take it to the north pole, or your freezer, (i.e. lower the temperature of the contents) the relative humidity in the jar would probably read close to 100%.

Thus, You have to be consistent when your compare the different conditions and changes in the results by the instrumentation of "inside and outside" the vault.

Therefore: If the "relative" humidity drops in the vault when you open the vault, that suggests that the air temperature in the vault increases. The reasoning that the air temperature could/would rise when the vault door is opened, would be supported, if the vault was sitting on a cool concrete floor. Does this represent your experience?
    Last edited by silver1985; 06-26-2018 at 06:23 AM.

18. Thanks jfines69, TPring thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post