Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emodx View Post
    How common is acetone dipping? I saw a video about copper conservation where the gentleman lightly applied some type of viscous liquid to a soft jewelers brush, maybe two drops. He then lightly brushed the coppers.
    Does the word "Verdi-Care" ring a bell from the video? Great product which I believe was created by BadThad (He is Just above your last post)

2. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Does the word "Verdi-Care" ring a bell from the video? Great product which I believe was created by BadThad (He is Just above your last post)
    I am pretty sure that it the product I saw in the video. I’ll have to go back and find the video as I am interested in seeing how the product works. Basically does it bond with the copper to prevent other elements from bonding or does it not hind at all and simply creates a barrier to oxidation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emodx View Post
    I am pretty sure that it the product I saw in the video. I’ll have to go back and find the video as I am interested in seeing how the product works. Basically does it bond with the copper to prevent other elements from bonding or does it not hind at all and simply creates a barrier to oxidation?
    I'm not exactly sure.
    If you do a search on this site for Verdi-care, you find a few threads that can answer that better than I.
    (If we are lucky BadThad will chime in and answer before long)

Post Thanks / Like
    So under no condition put your Lincoln Cents in a vacuum. I vacuum causes the zinc to leach out from the coins.

I recently purchased 80 LMC BU rolls from a reputable dealer. They were received well packaged and in a vacuum wrapped plastic bag 10 rolls to the bag. So being excited about what I could find I opened the first bag and took out the only roll that wasn’t date marked. I start unwrapping the roll and the paper was quite brittle and out spill the pennies.

I started to line them up and noticed some we’re hazy. When I held one under the lamp I noticed it was a hazy blue. As go through the rest, many were spotted with blue zinc spots. Almost every penny had some kind of zinc issue. The sides that didn’t had weird toning. It wasn’t the color that was weird, it was the shape of the toning.

Another issue was Copper flaking. I have little copper flakes all over my sorting mat. They were small enough that it would take serious magnification to find the donor site on the coins. Along the same line, many of the pennies were not smooth. They had micro burrs on the raised parts. I first noticed the friction moving them on my mat. And then I could feel the burrs through the vinyl gloves.

So I decided to open five rolls thinking this may be an anomaly. All five had some sort of zinc issues. If I remember correctly, there were four copper rolls PMD one zinc roll. I think the zinc roll may have had the least damage.

i contacted the gentleman and he will accept the unopened rolls as a return. I have them all boxed back up and ready to ship. I will add some videos now and pictures later. Perhaps Ray will let me send him a few to photograph at high resolution.

6. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welp the site won’t let me upload a video. Pictures will have to suffice.

Post Thanks / Like
    59E602D7-77E1-4F0D-AB4E-E4FE633EF4AE.jpg 30E5ACCC-C062-423D-9CFA-11483958B6AF.jpg Sample off the top. The 1995 pennies are the only ones that seems normal.

9. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The original question reminded me of a story I told several years ago on another forum regarding storage of cents. My impression is that if a cent turns in storage, its most likely because it was already in contact with something detrimental before it was slabbed/stored. But wooden cases, cardboard (which has sulfur) and other materials can all off gas and cause problems. Now my situation was I lived in Puerto Rico on a 5th floor condo facing the ocean for 4 years. My PCGS collection was stored in 4-5 Eagle brand notebooks stored on the shelf in my bedroom closet.

Now the windows and doors were open to the sea breeze 24/7 year round. I was less than 1/2 mile from the San Juan airport runway. Every-week I would go around the apartment and mop up JET A fuel mixed with the salt air that formed a black tacky coating on all floors, glass, counters, etc. It was so humid at times I would begin to smell mold and mildew and knew it was time to bleach the back of the wood furniture in the bedroom. Likewise my clothes had to be worm and washed regularly to keep them from mildewing. The 3 rings of the Eagel Holders all rusted. And I can say not a single red cent ever turned on me.

Storage concerns are real and some would be detrimental for sure like using paper wrappers on a boat in a wood box, etc. But the overall conditions of which most of us live are very satisfactory for keeping slabbed and most hard plastic stored coins safe.

WS

Post Thanks / Like
    I bailed out of chemistry in high school many years ago, so I hope that "BadThad the professional chemist" will comment on this thought.
    Helium is one of the inert gases and will not chemically react with any other element. Therefore, I would think that if a shinny Lincoln was placed in a glass container of this gas, it would stay shinny virtually forever, or until the container leaked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use Intercept Shield products. They are specifically made for the purpose of keeping coins from further toning.

http://www.interceptshield.com/technology.html
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jallengomez View Post
    I would use Intercept Shield products. They are specifically made for the purpose of keeping coins from further toning.

http://www.interceptshield.com/technology.html
    That looks pretty interesting.