Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Coin Roll Hunting Part 6 Dr. Jeckell vs. Mr. Hyde

So I am going to lead in with this: My best box of pennies ever!

This box came from the regular inner Baltimore big box branch. The coins were a mixed lot. Some Loomis, some NF String, and some customer rolled. I thought that was pretty weird. Well that was just the beginning of weird. Some rolls were very very clean customer rolled. Others were very dirty and grimey customer rolls. It was like meeting Dr Jeckell and Mr Hyde in one box.

The numbers below pretty much are representative of what you would expect to find in a circulated box of pennies. All within what i normally see. But once you get past the numbers you'll get the true nature of what was in the box.

So all in all I had about 25 destroyed pennies. Some were flat, other heavily pitted, and still others covered with an oxide layer so thick you really couldn't tell that it was even a penny. But once you get past that then I found the gems! And by gems, I really mean gems. Let's start with one that isn't near the best, nor is it my favorite, but it is my first: A 1903 Indian Head Penny, Brown, F12 grade. What a nice find. The high details in the Liberty head dress were worn flat, but other than that the obverse high points still defined and the reverse details look decent. Very cool find.

Then I have 19 other keepers. A 1986 struck through grease. Four regular keepers, and 15 toners! 13 AU toners and a VF and XF toner. My two favorite toners are a 1982 w/ black, bronze and copper hues; a 1971 with brown, blue, expresso, and indigo hues (black beauty). And I haven't even had the opportunity to really look at the wheaties.

I think I am going to take this week off from coin roll hunting. I have some basic organization that needs to happen, gotta do the book keeping so I know what I have and what I need. Set up a safety deposit box and move in a bunch of rolls to long term storage. Talk to you guys soon.

Date: 06/29/18
    Total Cu 447
    Cu % 17.9
    Cu to date sort 104
    Cu date sort % 4.2
    Cu error sort 235
    Cu error sort % 9.4
    Cu bullion 93
    Cu bullion % 3.7
    Wheats 8
    Wheat % 0.32
    Keepers 20
    Keepers % 0.8
    Non Cu Error dates 571
    Non Cu Error Date % 22.8
    Foreigns 3
    1 dime
    1903 Indian Head

997D97A9-85EA-42AD-A967-1422CC45D27A.jpg 28E914B6-4D93-4846-9FA9-E7716A1D5D21.jpg A4A8661D-984E-46AE-A6BF-770DEA568109.jpg 5A6701A1-D0E7-4958-8C72-5F533D41B8B6.jpg
    Last edited by emodx; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:51 PM. Reason: Uploading images from phone

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, mustbebob, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a nice IHC find!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Brick Emo. And congrats on the 1903 IH.
    I have to buy mixed wheat rolls to get any IH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice finds indeed! Congrats on the Indian Head, I'm still looking. Some of my favorite toners have been from the 70's. I've heard Ed and others talk about how the particular mix of metals seems to affect the consistency of colors through a series of coin. I have notice the indigo following many of the 70's years and by far my favorite toners!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Very nice finds indeed! Congrats on the Indian Head, I'm still looking. Some of my favorite toners have been from the 70's. I've heard Ed and others talk about how the particular mix of metals seems to affect the consistency of colors through a series of coin. I have notice the indigo following many of the 70's years and by far my favorite toners!
    So sometime later this summer I am going to try an experiment. I am going make a few different solutions and put them on different pennies of the same year. Then I will put the same mintage penny on top and wrap them in a 2x2. Then I will toss them on the dash of my Durango and let them bake for a month. The solutions I am thinking about are distilled water with kosher salt, magnesium, potassium, and forehead sweat . After this experiment is run I am going to do the same this, but this time use dissimilar metals. Will start with bronze penny/zinck penny. But also think a copper and an old nickel may be interesting as well. Man I am such a .

7. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a bit of a strange mix... You still got some good stuff from it tho... We may need to change your name to Durango Dash by the end of the summer Nothing wrong with being a Even if you are 10 times a
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    That is a bit of a strange mix... You still got some good stuff from it tho... We may need to change your name to Durango Dash by the end of the summer Nothing wrong with being a Even if you are 10 times a
    Nope not a mix, all separate solutions. But definitely a strange collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sometime later this summer I am going to try an experiment.
    Gather up some fresh red coppers and zincs.

Bake them, set em on spoons so both sides are exposed.
    You'll be surprised, pretty fast at 450-500 they'll turn cherry color, magenta, purple and however they look they'll get more intense as they cool so pull em out before they get too well done.

12. Likes makecents liked this post