Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kevocoins

New Member & Strange 1968-D LMC: Strike Error??? - Thoughts Please

Hello LCF,

I live in Chicago and started collecting last May. I recently submitted (actually my first TPG submission) a 1969 Washington Quarter to PCGS and they graded it MS67 (www.pcgs.com/cert/35719750). I am pretty happy with the results.

I am waiting for 15 more (various coins) to come back from PCGS. One of them is a 1968-S LMC which I will share with LCF (unless it grades low, JK).

1968-D LMC: Please Help...

I did some research but would appreciate LCF's feedback on the type of error and it's potential value. I'm thinking/hoping it's some type of strike error. Possibly brockage or a capped die strike? The memorial (under close inspection) seems to have been struck 3 or 4 times and it looks misaligned. I modified the color of the last picture to make it clearer.

It's in a 2X2 so pics might not be the greatest. I'll take new pics if needed.

Thank you,

IMG_20180513_1801127.jpgIMG_20180513_1800325.jpgIMG_20180513_1802288(4).jpgIMG_20180513_1800503.jpg
    Last edited by kevocoins; 07-12-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Meant "1968-S" not "1969-S"

2. Thanks makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to LCF!! Lots of really good folks here and several very knowledgeable people. Very cool looking coin but I'll have to let the pros tackle this one. Look forward to more of your posts and pics! Good luck on your 69S grading.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, welcome.

Interesting LMC. Looks like a brockage. Usually it is the obverse that is blurry on the details and the reverse is normal.
    (Same coin as your avatar?)

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, N/A, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does look like a struck through a capped die or something but most of them are on the obv, need to see what the error experts say if if it's significantly abnormal to be on the rev but I don't see why it couldn't/wouldn't happen.

The obv looks pretty normal, it has a double rim but that may not mean it was struck more than once, also I think it's normal for the other side to be a normal strong looking strike.
    Last edited by GrumpyEd; 07-12-2018 at 05:26 AM.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, makecents liked this post
    kevocoins
    makecents: Oops, I meant 1968-S. Thanks!

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    kevocoins
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Welcome, welcome.

Interesting LMC. Looks like a brockage. Usually it is the obverse that is blurry on the details and the reverse is normal.
    (Same coin as your avatar?)
    Yep, same coin as my avatar. I need www.Error-ref.com to help me out. I will email them.

Post Thanks / Like
    The transferred design element on your coin appears to be raise (in relief). As I understand it, with a brockage, the transferred design should be incuse (recessed) because a brockage coin is actually being struck by the coin stuck to a die face, not the die.

Maybe this is one of those occasions where the stuck coin (die cap) is stuck to the reverse die (which is usually the hammer die). So maybe the dies were in the reverse position (reverse in the anvil position) or the collar die malfuctioned (didn't retract) and an already struck coin got wedged onto the top of the reverse.

I wonder if the incuse area on the reverse (struck through extra metal) under the right side of the building is helpful in determining what happened with this one.

TTMYG Hmmmmm.....

Edit: Never mind , Mike came to the rescue .
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 07-12-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Never mind!

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, makecents liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is an in-collar uniface strike. The top coin (your coin) was struck against an underlying planchet while both were confined within the collar. Since the raised ghost image of the Memorial is as strong as the incuse ghost image of Lincoln, I would assume the underlying planchet was of normal thickness. This conclusion is predicated on your coin being normal weight (3.11g or thereabouts).

15. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013, N/A, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013, N/A, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ID Mike.
    Shouldn't be hard to remember an in-collar uniface strike for this era.

17. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF kevocoins! Congrats for confirmation of a nice in-collar uniface strike Lincoln error coin! Thanks Mike for your help!

19. Thanks N/A thanked for this post