Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Paid Member ray_parkhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    333

    1946-D DDO and RPM

    Additional Information
    Variety: DDO
    Mint: Denver

    Here's another one I'm having trouble attributing. I see something similar at Wexler's site but markers don't match. This coin has no significant markers.

    46-D DDO RPM_2.JPG
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

  2. #2
    Paid Member Petespockets55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    East Coast, florida
    Posts
    2,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    163
    I'm not 100% but it is looking like it might be VV DDO-006
    (which, surprisingly, was found by Ray Parkhurst ).

    Does this coin have the Die gouges through the PL of PLURIBUS?


    Edit: Never mind about the die gouge question, just saw where you said there were no significant markers.
    I wonder if the reverse was changed.
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 1 Week Ago at 05:19 PM.

  3. #3
    Paid Member ray_parkhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    333
    Hah! That would be a hoot. The DDO is similar to DDO-006 but DDo-006 does not have the non-minor RPM. How fun!
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

  4. #4
    Paid Member Petespockets55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    East Coast, florida
    Posts
    2,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    Hah! That would be a hoot. The DDO is similar to DDO-006 but DDo-006 does not have the non-minor RPM. How fun!

    Sorry about that, The VV images left me thinking it could be.

    Well Darn, I'M fresh out of Varieties.

    EDIT: Maybe I need some sleep, but DoubledDies WRPM-089 Seems to have some similarities to your MM.
    On RPM-089 looks very similar to yours. Divits, notching, odd shape to the inside top of the MM. Tthere seems to be the beginnings of a light die crack coming off the top of the MM, in line with the vert. bar, NE towards the tail of the 9. And a die scratch/crack coming off the left bottom of the MM to the NE.

    And WRPM-089 is WDDO-022.
    And this crosses to VV DDO-006.
    Hmmmm.... Must get sleep. after..just.....one.......more...........rol
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 1 Week Ago at 07:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1297
    I am up to Wexlers 065 and the closest so far is WRPM-022 however there is no image to verify the MM location and you would need to match the markers... Also there is no mention of a DDO... I will look thru so more later... Nice find Ray!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  6. #6
    Paid Member Petespockets55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    East Coast, florida
    Posts
    2,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I am up to Wexlers 065 and the closest so far is WRPM-022 however there is no image to verify the MM location and you would need to match the markers... Also there is no mention of a DDO... I will look thru so more later... Nice find Ray!!!
    I noticed WRPM-022 also Jim .... by accident.
    And it is similar but like you say, no image of MM position and no mention of DDO.

  7. #7
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1297
    I think Cliff found it - Wexlers 089 http://doubleddie.com/1200240.html which is also WDDO-022 http://doubleddie.com/474334.html and the DDO crosses to VVs 006 http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...946DDDO006.htm There is a die dot due north of the split in the upper serif just shy of level with the bottom of the 4... It shows on the listed samples as well as Rays coin in this thread... VV does not show it as a RPM but it is there... The RPM/DDO on Wexlers is credited to Brian Bibar and the DDO on VV is credited to Ray!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  8. #8
    Paid Member ray_parkhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    333
    OK, I checked out Wexler's 089, and it is deceptively similar to mine, but not quite the same. 089 appears to have a tripled lower serif, while mine is doubled and with slightly more spread. 089 also has little or nothing showing on the upper serif, while mine has a doubling ("bump") from secondary punch above the primary serif. Also, while the MM rotation is nearly the same, the position is slightly lower on mine.

    I did an animated overlay using the image of 089 on Wexler's site vs my own coin, but I don't have permission to share Wexler's image. So take a close look at the tripled vs doubled lower serif, and the no-bump vs bump on upper serif, and see if you agree.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

  9. #9
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1297
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    OK, I checked out Wexler's 089, and it is deceptively similar to mine, but not quite the same. 089 appears to have a tripled lower serif, while mine is doubled and with slightly more spread. 089 also has little or nothing showing on the upper serif, while mine has a doubling ("bump") from secondary punch above the primary serif. Also, while the MM rotation is nearly the same, the position is slightly lower on mine.

    I did an animated overlay using the image of 089 on Wexler's site vs my own coin, but I don't have permission to share Wexler's image. So take a close look at the tripled vs doubled lower serif, and the no-bump vs bump on upper serif, and see if you agree.
    The only other close one is Wexlers 095 http://doubleddie.com/1200240.html It may be that the DDO was not noticed when it was attributed!!!


    Added - Wexler does not list 089 as a D/D/D also yours and Wexlers both have a die dot in nearly the exact same location!!!
    Last edited by jfines69; 1 Week Ago at 02:17 PM.
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •