Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Coin Roll Hunting Part 8 - Toners Toners Toners

Second time I have gone back to this big box branch. So glad I did cause this was an interesting brick. First there were 15 wheats, five before 1940. Then there were 15 keepers. Of the keepers there were 10 toners! I found two solid rolls of 2016 P almost UNCs. Of the two rows there was only one specimen grade keeper. But interestingly there were a lot of other 2016 pennies throughout the box. I would love to find some more solid rolls. I wish I would have saved the other near UNCs. There was a 1986 that looked sand blasted. I will ask about that in a different thread. And finally I found about six coins with the same environmental damage, but all in different rolls, all different years.

Stats:

Date: 07/09/18
    Total Cu 531
    Cu % 21.2
    Cu to date sort 111
    Cu date sort % 4.4
    Cu error sort 312
    Cu error sort % 12.5
    Cu bullion 108
    Cu bullion % 4.3
    Wheats 15
    Wheat % 0.6
    Keepers 15
    Keeper % 0.6
    Non Cu Error dates 454
    Non Cu Error Date % 18.1
    Foreigns 4
    Foreigns % 0.2
    1929, 1929 D, 1930, 1934, 1938

ED25069F-C022-44BF-BF86-0E12358F8C53.jpg 9E3ECF6B-8E33-4130-A61C-B6B5C916C86C.jpg E4240A76-CE29-4790-8197-70D2A977BC4B.jpg9B31CFA5-26C0-4D2A-89FB-9A3E552D0731.jpg
    Last edited by emodx; 07-11-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Posting pics from phone

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, mustbebob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another nice copper run!! Very cool on the wheats and especially the pre 1940 wheats! Very cool toners too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Another nice copper run!! Very cool on the wheats and especially the pre 1940 wheats! Very cool toners too.
    So I have a bunch of toners in flips that I have to grade and catalog. And then there is this the brick that is from a new branch. But after that I am thinking of pulling my toners and making a video to highlight the beautiful toned pennies I have.

5. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emodx View Post
    So I have a bunch of toners in flips that I have to grade and catalog. And then there is this the brick that is from a new branch. But after that I am thinking of pulling my toners and making a video to highlight the beautiful toned pennies I have.
    I love toners but have major issues with getting pics that portray how good they actually look, it's never even close to showing how great they look!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My newer smartphone actually has produced some nice actual colors on some of my coins lately.

8. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    I love toners but have major issues with getting pics that portray how good they actually look, it's never even close to showing how great they look!!
    Thats why I was thinking about a video. Static phone stand would allow me to use both hands to turn the coin. The hardest part is getting the lighting correct.

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emodx View Post
    Thats why I was thinking about a video. Static phone stand would allow me to use both hands to turn the coin. The hardest part is getting the lighting correct.
    Some people have had success here using paper over the light source (diffusers), with a small "smiley" cut into the surface of the diffuser.

I'm probably wrong but it might be helpful to use indirect lighting, where minimal light reflects off something somewhat reflective (white or maybe even gray paper.)
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 07-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice haul... Sounds like you have a good collection of toners going!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!