Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Early zinc LMC

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 11

Answered: Early zinc LMC

I have noticed lately that the pre 82 cents are drying up around here and I see older zinks that look like they spent several years in the wishing well. Should we save a few nice unc reds when we find them or do you think enough are being saved for our grandchildren to afford and enjoy?
    Even a fool can look wise if he keeps his mouth closed.

2. "It wasn't sandblasted, it may be pretty much natural the way it came with a little toning.

It just has bumpy plating. They came all different ways, smooth and nice, a few bumps, a mix of big and small bumps or a sort of even pattern of little ones like your coin.

Surfaces change the toning like this coin, like on the early matte proofs they have a micro texture that tones a certain way or like brilliant coins tend to be really reactive and tone in bulls-eye patterns or in a big blotch like if it's in a flip with a pinhole it will get a blotch or satiny coins tend to tone sort of nice because they aren't as reactive and tend to tone more evenly and slower."

3. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    I was going to wait for Jon to answer... but YES, definitely save them from the wishing well! When I see those I think... my kids may not ever see one this nice and it goes in the nice box. I mean... I don't go overboard, they have to be pretty flawless... but the nice box is separate from the AU/BU tubes I have saved

Nice to see you Anthony! Hope you are doing well!

5. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 11
    The wishing well ones are the corroded ones. I like the look of an 80's zinc that is bright and clear of bubbles or spots.
    Even a fool can look wise if he keeps his mouth closed.

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uglycent View Post
    The wishing well ones are the corroded ones. I like the look of an 80's zinc that is bright and clear of bubbles or spots.
    Yes Sir, the wishing well ones... I know them too well. I had 2 rolls of them (culls) that the bank was going to charge me $8 to return to them. I was told that they have to pay $8 per shipment of culls back to the Fed and they would charge my account for that. So... I found that most of them will go through the money counter at Wally World so I've just been spending them.

I agree, most of the 80's that are free from spots, gas bubbles and overly heavy die polishing, are very nice to look at and really good ones to hang onto!

EDIT: Sorry, I was meaning to say, keep those nice ones so people don't wind up putting them in the wishing well. Or at the fountain at Disney... Cliff is too easily tempted
    Last edited by VAB2013; 07-16-2018 at 04:42 PM.

9. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Anthony, you need to talk to Ed! Hopefully he'll chime in later.

11. Likes VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Yes Sir, the wishing well ones... I know them too well. I had 2 rolls of them (culls) that the bank was going to charge me $8 to return to them. I was told that they have to pay $8 per shipment of culls back to the Fed and they would charge my account for that. So... I found that most of them will go through the money counter at Wally World so I've just been spending them.

I agree, most of the 80's that are free from spots, gas bubbles and overly heavy die polishing, are very nice to look at and really good ones to hang onto!

EDIT: Sorry, I was meaning to say, keep those nice ones so people don't wind up putting them in the wishing well. Or at the fountain at Disney... Cliff is too easily tempted

I'm there now taking a break from walking.

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post

I'm there now taking a break from walking.
    Oh wow, you are there right now! LOL... sounds like you're a little tired for a fountain dive then Ya'll have fun and let us know what you find out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    LOL, I've been saying it over and over.
    The early zinc rolls are well worth saving and some already cost more than late date wheats.

83-d, 84-d, 85-d, 86-p, 86-d, 87-d, 88-d, 91-d, 93-d and some others are up there $10-$20+ a roll for uncs.

The prices most dealers use are from the CDN coin dealer newsletter / grey sheet.
    They are not listed in every sheet, it uses a cycle for prices so certain ones list certain things so it's like every 4th one will list modern unc cent roll prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    I had a 2017 the other day that looked like an 82 frankenzinc... The zincs in circ I do not think will last long especially the early ones... If you find a nice one it may be time to store them away for future lincolnites!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Thanks uglycent thanked for this post