Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94

Answered: PSD or something else? Need some help with this one.

When I first looked at this one, I was hoping for a doubled column outside the Memorial. The pics are very deceiving and cannot tell for sure if it's in relief or recessed. The lighting leads me to believe it is recessed and cannot therefore be doubling but the angled shot makes it look in relief. After it's all said and done it may just be PSD that is recessed.

Thanks for you help, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. "Large without doubt."

3. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Jon, on your full reverse it looks like your light source is coming from about 4:00.
    If that is the case, I'm thinking this is linear plating that may have a split and deflated, giving an incuse and in relief effect.
    It could easily be a trick of the lighting. A

5. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Jon, on your full reverse it looks like your light source is coming from about 4:00.
    If that is the case, I'm thinking this is linear plating that may have a split and deflated, giving an incuse and in relief effect.
    It could easily be a trick of the lighting. A
    Thanks Cliff!! I had not even considered a plating bubble. As for the direction of lighting, I cannot give you an answer. I take several shots and rotate the coin while taking them trying to get the best shot possible. Because of this I would have no clue which direction it was coming from with the shot I kept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    That's cool looking... Did you try to deflate with a tooth pick yet??? To me the west side of the anomaly looks like a crack???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    That's cool looking... Did you try to deflate with a tooth pick yet??? To me the west side of the anomaly looks like a crack???
    I did do the toothpick test after Cliff brought up the blister but it is solid and could not tell from that whether it was incuse or in relief. I tried to get a better pic than I had already to see if it was a crack on the west side but could not. I know you have your hands full and I have no time table at all. Would you mind taking a look at the coin when you have time? I can send it out and then you look at it at your leisure.

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Even if you can't get it to show in pics, using a loupe and different angles might help you to see if it's raised or incuse.

12. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Interesting Jon, the anomaly does have the similar shape of a column. I'm not the greatest at telling raised from incuse but it looks raised to me with a indentation showing up on each side of the raised but going toward the bottom it looks like the raised area has "deflated" or looks more flat.

14. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    I did do the toothpick test after Cliff brought up the blister but it is solid and could not tell from that whether it was incuse or in relief. I tried to get a better pic than I had already to see if it was a crack on the west side but could not. I know you have your hands full and I have no time table at all. Would you mind taking a look at the coin when you have time? I can send it out and then you look at it at your leisure.
    I don't use time tables... I am always late I would be more than happy to take a look at it... Send it my way when you can!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

16. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Even if you can't get it to show in pics, using a loupe and different angles might help you to see if it's raised or incuse.
    I know that most all of you use a loupe to search with but very seldom do I. This is why I have some of the issues I do but prefer to search with my scope. I did look at it with my loupe though and it looks to be both. I think it may have been a blister at one time but has since been deflated leaving more copper on the west side but not having separation in the copper plating. I think getting this in Jim's hands will help solve the mystery. It would appear that has been other slight movement of the copper plating around this area too but I can't tell for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Interesting Jon, the anomaly does have the similar shape of a column. I'm not the greatest at telling raised from incuse but it looks raised to me with a indentation showing up on each side of the raised but going toward the bottom it looks like the raised area has "deflated" or looks more flat.
    Yeah, I think it is similar to what you are saying Viv. We will see in a few days when someone with a lot more expertise has it in hand!

19. Thanks VAB2013, Kdowney thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Kdowney liked this post