Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1978D raised or incuse anomaly?

You guys know how I have problems with incuse and raised designs. I know how they are supposed to look, like a Shield cent the EPU and VDB are incuse (but they always look raised). On Memorial cents the VDB is incuse (ditto)

So, I experimented with different angles trying to figure out if this anomaly is raised or incuse... the anomaly won and I lost

Sorry, I forgot to mention... initially I was thinking a possible dropped letter E.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VAB2013; 07-14-2018 at 06:20 PM.

2. Thanks makecents, GrumpyEd, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pics are tricky but it looks like a hit with some cratering in the second pic, the others make it look raised. You might tell best with a loupe. In any case it doesn't really look letter shaped.

4. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool looking Viv!! I think it is incuse. I would swear by the first two pics it was raised but I don't believe it is. I don't remember if it was on here or a different site but someone taught me to follow the shadows from the light. Pick something close to the anomaly in question that you know is raised and that is receiving the same directional light and look to see if it is lit up or shows a shadow. Then do the same with the anomaly. Look at your second pic and you will see they are showing the opposite lighting. The bottom of the letters (the top as far as the pic goes) are lit up and the same side of the anomaly is showing a shadow.

6. Thanks VAB2013, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Pics are tricky but it looks like a hit with some cratering in the second pic, the others make it look raised. You might tell best with a loupe. In any case it doesn't really look letter shaped.
    Thanks Ed! Well... I thought it could be a dropped E from the reverse. If the letter built up enough gunk to make the edges more pronounced? I'm not very good with a loupe either, actually I think I'm worse because my eyes don't want to focus, then when I'm finally focused and look away I'm like blinded for a few seconds. Maybe it's my astigmatism because it's getting harder to see to drive at night. Need to try some of those yellow glasses

8. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    That's cool looking Viv!! I think it is incuse. I would swear by the first two pics it was raised but I don't believe it is. I don't remember if it was on here or a different site but someone taught me to follow the shadows from the light. Pick something close to the anomaly in question that you know is raised and that is receiving the same directional light and look to see if it is lit up or shows a shadow. Then do the same with the anomaly. Look at your second pic and you will see they are showing the opposite lighting. The bottom of the letters (the top as far as the pic goes) are lit up and the same side of the anomaly is showing a shadow.
    Thank you Jon... my gut feeling was incuse also when I saw it at an angle with direct light on the raised Y and the anomaly. I even thought if there was some way to drop something in the hole, to show the depth, but couldn't think of anything small enough... maybe a little sugar LOL

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Jon... my gut feeling was incuse also when I saw it at an angle with direct light on the raised Y and the anomaly. I even thought if there was some way to drop something in the hole, to show the depth, but couldn't think of anything small enough... maybe a little sugar LOL
    That's actually a good idea! take a drop of water and put on it. When you have it under the scope, the light will quickly dry it. If the last water to dry is on the anomaly, then it's incuse.

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's actually a good idea! take a drop of water and put on it. When you have it under the scope, the light will quickly dry it. If the last water to dry is on the anomaly, then it's incuse.
    You are right Jon, I will try that! That's better than putting salt or sugar on a coin

Let's see what happens!

14. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay... had to brew some coffee for this experiment!

I dropped alcohol from a Qtip onto the coin and watched it evaporate, but I could not tell that any of the alcohol was staying down in the anomaly. Took another pic at that angle again and I think it is incuse even though it looks raised in all of the pics but two. Probably just a well placed hit making me think it's a dropped E

Here is the pic I took while the alcohol was evaporating.

And one I took after the alcohol was completely evaporated... looks incuse
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VAB2013; 07-14-2018 at 08:34 PM.

16. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pics you just took looks like there is a long rectangular incuse area around the anomaly. I still say just use water not alcohol. You can watch where it drys last that way.
    Last edited by makecents; 07-14-2018 at 08:39 PM.

18. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you do full coin shots of the obverse and reverse Viv? I think there is more to this coin that what we can see in the shots you have taken. I'm not so sure there isn't a strong clash involved also!

20. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post