Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Coin Roll Hunting Part 9 - Woo Wooo Woooo!

So this was a different box for me. If you didn't know I live in Baltimore. My wife works top dead center downtown. So the other day my son and I were running errands near my wife and stopped in just to say hi. After we saw her we stopped by the big box branch next to her office. Warning if you have reactions to toners AU coins, and just flexing on a good brick, well keep on moving.

This box had a personality all its own. So the box was a standard Loomis box, except for one thing, the glue was "weak". As it turns out, this was just a head fake. Normally I would think a weak glue job would mean it is old. But I did find a lot of 2018 pennies.

So my general take is that this box is clean. I say that because I had a LOT of new pennies. These pennies were clean enough for me to roll them up and put them away:

2016 P roll
    2017 P roll x2
    2018 P roll

One of the cool things is that this box brings is the six foreign coins. I received five Canadian pennies and one Panamanian centisimo. On the front is Panama's famed Chieftain, Urraca.

Urracá or Ubarragá Maniá Tigrí (d. 1531) was an Ngäbe Amerindian chieftain or cacique in the region of present-day Panama who fought effectively against the Spanish conquistadors. Captured at one point, Urracá managed to escape a ship bound for Spain and rejoin his own people. He continued to lead the fight against the Spanish until he was killed in battle in 1531.[1] He is remembered as el caudillo amerindio de Veragua (the Amerind leader of Veragua) and adversary of the Spanish Empire), the great resistance leader of Panama. He has been honored by his image on the centesimo, the smallest-denomination coin of Panama.
    Following the theme of Native chieftains, this box presented another cool coin. I found a 1905 Indian Head penny. The obverse is fairly smooth with copper details and a black field. The reverse still has a copper tone to it, but has an ugly rust spot and another green spot. Overall it grades out at a F15. I would have graded it at a VF20 had it not been for the corrosion. Still pretty cool find, my second Indian coin roll hunting.

Not counting the coins I rolled up and put away, I found 27 other keepers in the box. I'll mention the five best. A 1988 with light toning, a small cud,and what looks like a radial die crack that seems to start near the cud and run parallel to the rim for about 60 degrees of the coin. A 1997D toner that has a crescent shape toned are from where another coin rested against it. A 2007D with a gold powdery looking oxidation. A 2003 with super intense greens and blues. And finally a 2018 with the starting of green hues on the reverse and what looks like blue glitter on the obverse; seriously looks like the coin is sweating blue glitter.

So all in all this has to be my favorite box of 2018. I'll be back in downtown this Thursday,so I think I will swing by and pick up another box. Attached are a couple pictures of my finds. Talk to you next weekend.

Date: 07/13/18
    Total Cu 436
    Cu % 17.44
    Cu to date sort 111
    Cu date sort % 4.44
    Cu error sort 246
    Cu error sort % 9.8
    Cu bullion 79
    Cu bullion % 3.2
    Wheats 12
    Wheat % 0.5
    Keepers 27 *
    Keeper % 1.1
    Non Cu Error dates 358
    Non Cu Error Date % 14.3
    Foreigns 6
    Foreigns % 0.2

5 Canadians, 1 Panamanian
    2016 P roll
    2017 P roll x2
    2018 P roll

E724384A-32D5-48DF-B782-14E9344A34C1.jpg C1EF28B4-942A-43DF-8508-F8E4BFB1A11E.jpg 8B71BC8E-DBC2-4390-A08D-7FF44AB1D259.jpg 042DEB83-8729-42B1-BB75-BF5EDE4F2EB8.jpg
    Last edited by emodx; 07-15-2018 at 01:15 PM.

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, WaterSport liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool finds in all!! The Panamanian coin is very cool looking along with the nice toners! Congrats on the IHC too. You have found 2 more than I have. That was pretty cool the nice shields you found.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy your finds because my eyes are not worn out looking for them myself!

WS

Post Thanks / Like
    That was a nice box... A Panamanian an America Indian and 5 Canadians walk into a bar... I just had to be a smart a#% or at least the a#% part The 07 sounds like it was some one playing chemist??? I can't remember the details but a coin can be made to look gold thru chemical reactions!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!