Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv,

Of course there will be duplicates. It's the way it works with bags and solid boxes.
    Sure you can find one straggler variety but that's less likely than a bunch.
    Most of the time a roll is a dozen (more or less) dies. So figure you get a hot brick or bag, it might have 10% of it all being the same variety and if very lucky a few varieties... so a bag of 5000 if you had a few RPMs you probably easily wind up with hundreds of each one.

We do need to realize that most attributors or experts, they do this stuff as a hobby. They get busy or things change and they have less time or less time for a while to do stuff or even to reply to us. When you find hundreds of something then it's more important (to the finder) to get one of each attributed or listed, on the bright side if one of the attributors give you a listing or attribution then you've got hundreds of them IDed. I mean, it's way more important to the finder because they have hundreds, much more important than IDing a single coin you find. My advice is email them and ask if they have time or if they'll do it for a fee, if they will send them an example.

2. Thanks VAB2013, dinkyblue, centMD, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, It looks like there are for sure two different varieties and even more as GrumpyEd just stated in this thread. You might say I'm overloaded with them, you should receive the one's I sent you soon please enjoy them..................Dan

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know people get busy doing stuff as do I. I appreciate you taking your time to help me with advice and others on this site. This is just a hobby for me also and your right there must be a whole lot of different RPM's in this box, how many? unknown to me, I can find some close but not a match, so my only conclusion is perhaps they are new ones. Thanks again........................Dan

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just an idea Dan, but if it were me.... here's what I would do. Go through the RPM's and find the best ones you have. Work with those first and see which ones are from the same die pair. Post those on the forum (one coin per thread of course) so we can see and try to help to determine if they are listed. If they are not listed, I think Wexler would be your best bet for listing them.

Then work on the more minor RPM's the same way. The reason I say this is because it could be that some of the minor ones were not listed because they were discovered before to be too minor to list.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have sent to me! I will be sure to check the mail this afternoon! Thank you so much Dan!!!

8. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will be able to tell more when you receive the RPM's that I sent you, you should get two different RPM's and a normal BU 1961d. The strange thing is why are there so many RPM's in the rolls,each roll has more or less 10 to 12 in them. Thank you for your advice.....................Dan

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyblue View Post
    You will be able to tell more when you receive the RPM's that I sent you, you should get two different RPM's and a normal BU 1961d. The strange thing is why are there so many RPM's in the rolls,each roll has more or less 10 to 12 in them. Thank you for your advice.....................Dan
    Thank you very much Dan! I received the 3 BU 1961D's you sent me and they are very nice looking! I will be looking these over, especially the 2 RPM's! I just gave them a quick look under the scope and want to look at them closer and compare what I see to what Jim has found! It might take me a day or two but I will visit your two RPM threads and give you an update. I doubt that I will find anything that Jim has missed, but I will still update you! I really appreciate you doing this Dan!!!

I am not sure why there are so many RPM's in each roll. I've never been fortunate enough to see what you are seeing in those OBW's. Just take your time and have fun going through those rolls, there's no telling how many different RPM's you are going to end up finding... probably a bunch

12. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure why there are so many RPM's in each roll.
    Viv,

That's what I was trying to explain, it sounds like you missed the point. Since a roll might have a dozen or more or less dies in it. So lets say you get a hot brick and it has a variety and most of the rolls only have 10 dies, you'll might end up with 250 of that variety from the brick.

So.... imagine the mint room making cents. Maybe it had a dozen presses (no idea the real number) If they're all running and dumping into a bin and 2 of those presses have a die with a variety or RPM you might get roughly 1/12 of the coins in the bag being one of those 2 varieties. There are some unknowns, maybe they only ran a few presses that day (some broke, or almost met their quota) then you might get even more of those dies in your bag or they ran all 12 presses and swapped out some dies while filling the bin then you would get less coins of that variety (maybe the bin is a mix of 20 different dies) or you could only a straggler like they started a new bin, dumped a handful from one press with a variety in the new bin then shut off that press and filled the bin from other presses so there might only be a few stragglers in your bag from that bin. So there is no guarantee but with solid bags and bricks you often get lots of something or none of it.

This is why a rare variety can get almost ruined. Lets say something was super scarce then one person finds a few hundred, it floods the market. Dan just showed us, even from 1961 a hot bag can show up over 50 years later. Imagine, out there someplace someone might have a brick of 92s, if one person finds a hot brick with hundreds of the CAMs, the price will get effected right away. Same with something like the 69-S DDO, there's only a few dozen known, what if someone finds a bag that has a few hundred and they're all BU. That's why you make a call to hold or sell, over time there might be few more found and prices go up but there can also be a bunch found and kill the price.

14. Thanks centMD, Petespockets55, VAB2013, dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Likes centMD, Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much Dan for sending me three of your awesome looking 1961D's! Sorry it has taken me awhile to get around to studying them. I am still looking over the one you labeled RPM #2 (haven't started on #1 yet) and I am having a difficult time telling on #2 which photos are Jim's of this RPM. Did Jim get RPM #2?

From what I can see on this #2 so far, I can't find a match. That's why I wanted to see what Jim said about this one

EDIT: Think I am starting to figure it out. The RPM #2 that you sent me is not the same RPM as Jim's post #40... this one I have has some pretty substantial die cracks and chips at the top right cornice. I think that Jim has not posted the second one you sent him yet... I can't find it on here.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 08-28-2018 at 09:46 PM.

16. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Viv,

That's what I was trying to explain, it sounds like you missed the point. Since a roll might have a dozen or more or less dies in it. So lets say you get a hot brick and it has a variety and most of the rolls only have 10 dies, you'll might end up with 250 of that variety from the brick.

So.... imagine the mint room making cents. Maybe it had a dozen presses (no idea the real number) If they're all running and dumping into a bin and 2 of those presses have a die with a variety or RPM you might get roughly 1/12 of the coins in the bag being one of those 2 varieties. There are some unknowns, maybe they only ran a few presses that day (some broke, or almost met their quota) then you might get even more of those dies in your bag or they ran all 12 presses and swapped out some dies while filling the bin then you would get less coins of that variety (maybe the bin is a mix of 20 different dies) or you could only a straggler like they started a new bin, dumped a handful from one press with a variety in the new bin then shut off that press and filled the bin from other presses so there might only be a few stragglers in your bag from that bin. So there is no guarantee but with solid bags and bricks you often get lots of something or none of it.

This is why a rare variety can get almost ruined. Lets say something was super scarce then one person finds a few hundred, it floods the market. Dan just showed us, even from 1961 a hot bag can show up over 50 years later. Imagine, out there someplace someone might have a brick of 92s, if one person finds a hot brick with hundreds of the CAMs, the price will get effected right away. Same with something like the 69-S DDO, there's only a few dozen known, what if someone finds a bag that has a few hundred and they're all BU. That's why you make a call to hold or sell, over time there might be few more found and prices go up but there can also be a bunch found and kill the price.
    Thank you Ed... I feel really bad that I am just now seeing this. Trust me I read e v e r y t h i n g that you write (that I see)... even if it's not for me
    Last edited by VAB2013; 08-28-2018 at 09:45 PM.

18. Thanks GrumpyEd, dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping they are all different........................Dan

20. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post